Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2012, 01:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Went into my local pro shop last weekend and they have been selling more skis than boards this season! I could go for a lake full of 20' small wake machines over one full of 24' monster wake makers.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 04 TT 197
Hey letmeknow if that 2014 stuff was just a load of BS.......thats pretty good!
All good stuff, not sure about the telescoping boom but if the wakies can have an electric tower, why not a telescopic boom for the skiers!

Guys, didn't mean to ignite a skiers vs boarders debate here but I would love to know how many 197's/190's that MC does produce each year? I know that they used to make 100 of the Tournament team boats alone before regular 197/x7 production even started. Now that may have decrease as competion from the other ski boat companies have increased but it still has to be a fair chunk of the sales. Is it not the opening price point boat for MC?

Eastie or Sulli should have some insight into production numbers no?

PS I never see any wakeboarders out anymore either, seems to be all surfing now.....

04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
PB 2@35 off
Previous...
96 Prostar 205 Lt1
93 Prostar 205 HO
81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsprostar View Post
All good stuff, not sure about the telescoping boom but if the wakies can have an electric tower, why not a telescopic boom for the skiers!

Guys, didn't mean to ignite a skiers vs boarders debate here but I would love to know how many 197's/190's that MC does produce each year? I know that they used to make 100 of the Tournament team boats alone before regular 197/x7 production even started. Now that may have decrease as competion from the other ski boat companies have increased but it still has to be a fair chunk of the sales. Is it not the opening price point boat for MC?

PS I never see any wakeboarders out anymore either, seems to be all surfing now.....
I don't have any production info. I do have a tidbit that I picked up when I was shopping for a closed bow several years ago. If I'm off by a couple, mea culpa.

In 2006, MasterCraft produced 8 Pro Star 190s.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, PS 197, 08,
Unfortunately often times perception is reality...the perception is that a basically unchanged 10 yr old hull is badly in need of an update. Particularly when the competition continues to introduce new, innovative product. I haven't seen a 190 on a showroom floor in years and 2014 is 2 yrs too late in my opinion.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I don't have any production info. I do have a tidbit that I picked up when I was shopping for a closed bow several years ago. If I'm off by a couple, mea culpa.

In 2006, MasterCraft produced 8 Pro Star 190s.
I remember that statistic. Or something close. So few people seem to want closed bow. I'm sure I've read it, but why do you prefer OB? If I were solely skiing, I can fit 3 or 4 plus skis in an open bow. The added storage of closed bow doesn't seem appealing. Just curious.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsprostar View Post

Yes, it was total BS, I'm the last person in the know! I personally liked the name prostar 201 just to one up CC!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettmeknow View Post
Yes, it was total BS, I'm the last person in the know! I personally liked the name prostar 201 just to one up CC!
Ha I bet your list of features will be confusing people for years

Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I remember that statistic. Or something close. So few people seem to want closed bow. I'm sure I've read it, but why do you prefer OB? If I were solely skiing, I can fit 3 or 4 plus skis in an open bow. The added storage of closed bow doesn't seem appealing. Just curious.
If you read that stat here, it was probably from my posting it when I was boat searching. I got it from Mike in 2007.

As you know, I owned a 205 for about 4 and a half years. It was my first direct drive and I bought it because my father in law had one and I didn't really do much comparing. I got lucky since it turned out to be a great boat. But the reality of our situation was that, 98% of the time, it was just my wife, son and I going out on the lake, skiing, and coming back to the dock to relax. Even with two kids, that's still pretty much our routine. The ski locker in the 205 was always full of water and pretty useless, the combing pads wouldn't fit a ski in that era. And, so all of our gear was in the aisles or in the walkthrough making it hard to navigate. We added the jump seat, which was great, but then you had to get over it to get out the front. The bow seating came in handy some times, but you'd never want to ski with people in the bow. So, for the most part, it was just something else to clean, worry about the vinyl, and dig pine needles out of (we get a lot of pine needles).

For my line length and speed, the closed bow I have skis better and tracks better than anything in that price range and most things within $15K above that price range (or at least as well). It has tons of dry storage under the nose that doesn't look sloppy since you can't see it, and has a really wide open view from the driver's seat. It feels wider (because it is) and I can get 3 across in the observer's seat if they want to be friendly.

For how we use our boat, it was the best choice. I don't miss bow seating at all. I didn't want the kids sitting up there anyway.

YMMV

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 06-29-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 04 TT 197
Eastie are you trying to kill us all??? On top of everything in this thread already you want to introduce a closed vs open bow debate?! LOL

And come on, 6 190 closed bows in 2006, maybe thats possible if they just went to a few key jumpers but it's irrelevant vs how many 197/x7's were sold. Why would MC push a closed bow option when they owned the market on the open bow competiton ski boat and it skied just as well if not better.....Why do you think that CC made the 200?

04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
PB 2@35 off
Previous...
96 Prostar 205 Lt1
93 Prostar 205 HO
81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
If you read that stat here, it was probably from my posting it when I was boat searching. I got it from Mike in 2007.

As you know, I owned a 205 for about 4 and a half years. It was my first direct drive and I bought it because my father in law had one and I didn't really do much comparing. I got lucky since it turned out to be a great boat. But the reality of our situation was that, 98% of the time, it was just my wife, son and I going out on the lake, skiing, and coming back to the dock to relax. Even with two kids, that's still pretty much our routine. The ski locker in the 205 was always full of water and pretty useless, the combing pads wouldn't fit a ski in that era. And, so all of our gear was in the aisles or in the walkthrough making it hard to navigate. We added the jump seat, which was great, but then you had to get over it to get out the front. The bow seating came in handy some times, but you'd never want to ski with people in the bow. So, for the most part, it was just something else to clean, worry about the vinyl, and dig pine needles out of (we get a lot of pine needles).

For my line length and speed, the closed bow I have skis better and tracks better than anything in that price range and most things within $15K above that price range (or at least as well). It has tons of dry storage under the nose that doesn't look sloppy since you can't see it, and has a really wide open view from the driver's seat. It feels wider (because it is) and I can get 3 across in the observer's seat if they want to be friendly.

For how we use our boat, it was the best choice. I don't miss bow seating at all. I didn't want the kids sitting up there anyway.

YMMV
Given how you use your boat I can see the light.