Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X1
Does a smaller board = Faster?

I'm thinking yes-
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
No it depends on rider size, shape of the board, rocker, stiffness of your boots etc.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Why do you wanna go faster. Good wakeboarding is not about speed it's progressive edge
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ky View Post
Why do you wanna go faster. Good wakeboarding is not about speed it's progressive edge
TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartlandX1 View Post
TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Aha yes.. IDK
Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartlandX1 View Post
I'm thinking yes-
Depends what you mean by faster. Generally speaking ands all else equal, a smaller board will turn faster and respond more quickly, but will not have as much straight line speed and will require a larger wave to be responsive. Fin size and shape, rocker, and board shape play into the equation as well if you are comparing two boards of different size but very different design.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07 X45 8.1L, 13 X30 5.7L
kgrove is absolutely correct. The 'speed' of the board is tied to the amount of 'float' it generates. Which is shaped into the board. For the most part, a larger board should have more speed because it is generating more 'float'. However, this can be negated on a poorly designed board. A well designed wakesurf board will have a good combination of speed and responsiveness in a smaller package.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star (current) 1994 PS190, 1990 TriStar
Are you in Hartland, WI? Great water to be found there!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Boat speed and a regular short board (ocean surfboard) will get you moving faster. IMO wake surfboards are to thin and sluggish and not buoyant enough. These guys look like they're having fun http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/rai...ley-and-steel/
Old 06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz View Post
Boat speed and a regular short board (ocean surfboard) will get you moving faster. IMO wake surfboards are to thin and sluggish and not buoyant enough. These guys look like they're having fun http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/rai...ley-and-steel/
Theoretically wakesurf boards don't need as much flotation as ocean board as the real limiter for ocean surfing is being able to paddle fast enough to catch the wave. Unfortunately I sold my old boards years ago (I had a couple Nectar Simon Anderson "Original 3 Fin Thruster" - probably would be worth something to a collector now), but I've always wondered how they would perform behind my boat.

One of the other differences with ocean boards is they have more rocker than wakesurf boards. I'm no shaper, but I think the reason is the combination of the initial takeoff on a real wave being steep and the rocker helps prevent burying the nose and because power isn't as much an issue on real waves so the board can plow a little more water. With wakesurfing the wake is so tiny (sorry to inform you of this, wakesurfers, but those photos and videos you post of "massive wakes" look pretty pathetic to surfers) you need all the straight line speed you can get. I agree most wakesurf boards I see people using are too short and don't have enough flotation especially for their size and talent levels.