Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Securing head unit

Installed my new stereo a few weeks ago and took the boat out for a week on the lake. About two days into the trip, I noticed the flush mount cover had broke around the mounting holes, and the radio was loose. I grabbed some washers and secured it for the rest of the trip, no big deal. I'm going to replace the cover (if I can ever find another flush mount!), but im thinking that the same thing is going to happen again if I don't support the radio from the back somehow. It's a 92 205 prostar, the radio is a Kenwood 350, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. Am I just being OCD or has this happened to any of you guys?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205
There should be a metal strip behind the unit in the dash that connects from the back of the unit to somewhere on the boat. If not, rig something up in that general area to support the back of it.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:32 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG205 View Post
Installed my new stereo a few weeks ago and took the boat out for a week on the lake. About two days into the trip, I noticed the flush mount cover had broke around the mounting holes, and the radio was loose. I grabbed some washers and secured it for the rest of the trip, no big deal. I'm going to replace the cover (if I can ever find another flush mount!), but im thinking that the same thing is going to happen again if I don't support the radio from the back somehow. It's a 92 205 prostar, the radio is a Kenwood 350, so it's nothing out of the ordinary. Am I just being OCD or has this happened to any of you guys?
As Spence posted, the metal strap SHOULD have been used to support the back of the radio, which is why it's called a 'back-strap'. If you con't have one, go to a car stereo installation shop and ask for one. They probably have hundreds if they don't automatically toss them when they install head units in most Japanese cars, which don't usually need one because of the steel dash frame that has matching holes drilled in it.

Think about it- the front is where the head unit was attached to the dash and there was nothing else supporting it. Hitting wakes and waves makes the head unit act like a diving board.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X-7
I used a piece of aluminum angle from the back. The screws from the radio went into the angle and the lip of the angle pulled tight to the mounting wall giving more surface area to hang on to.