Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: In the process...
HELP! Considering buying a boat...and this is what I find

Hi all -

New to this forum and DD/VD boats in general. Have been skiing/boarding behind I/O's for going on 6 years and am finally pulling the trigger on a DD/VD boat. I went and looked at one this weekend that is for sale and I feel like I could get a pretty good deal on it (Prostar 205). However, when I went and looked at the boat for the first time I found some rust on a couple spots of the engine. I also pulled the impeller and that looked good.

Now, as I am not super familiar with true inboards, and especially MC, I was wondering how big of a pitfall this is for the boat. Speaking solely from the gut, it looks pretty cosmetic to me. The parts that have rust seem to be the big cast iron parts that would be pretty thick. Could someone just take these off, scrape/sand them down and repaint them? Sandblast? Buy and install replacements?

-or-

Is this just a tell tale sign of a money pit waiting to happen? The boat was obviously not taken care of the way a typical MC owner would...and that makes me nervous. On the flip side, the potential of getting it for a good deal could set some of those nerves to rest.

Thanks so much for reading my lengthy post. Any thoughts or recommendations? Any help is much appreciated.

I have uploaded pics and also embedded a link to a web album with more (I hope it works).

Ski and ride on, Wayne!

-Evan

https://picasaweb.google.com/1054979...eat=directlink
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
What year? how many hours? Risers and manifolds can be taken off and rejuvenated easily. what's the rest of the boat look like? Maintenance records? what's oil/tranny fluid look like after water test?

check this link.... http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...4&postcount=47
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 AM
TT Newbie

2000 Prostar 205, 484 hours.

The rest of the boat is so-so. It has a bit of fiberglass damage starboard bow side. As seen in the web album there are numerous cracks/tears/seam separations in upholster. Looking under the boat it is pretty clear that it spent a bit of time in the water, not on a lift. Few maintenance records on hand, but winterized and stored yearly. If I were to get this boat it would certainly go in for a 100 hr service and get a full once over by our local MC dealer.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
I would not worry too much about the rust on the manifolds - typical of an older boat. I would take to your local MC dealer and get a compression test and have them look at the boat before you purchase. The hull can be cleaned and polished. 205's are great boats!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
I have an LTR in my Prostar 190 and don't seem to have corrosion and/or paint burnt off to that extent. I just wonder whether the manifolds have been a bit hot from either a cooling issue or extended periods of wide open throttle. Not qualified to comment and don't want to put you off of your purchase unnecessarily. Any others want to comment on this? The upholstery definitely looks like it is at the end of it's life and will need some money thrown at it, but you already knew that. Good Luck
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM
TT Newbie

Extended periods of wide open would not surprise me at all. The boat was on the river with endless miles of [wide open] possibilities.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
The best thing to do that is well worth the money is having a pre-purchase inspection on the boat. Take it to the dealer and for a couple hundred dollars, they'll give it a compression test, look it over, and tell you what they think. If you play it right, you'll be able to negotiate the price down to cover the cost of the PPI and fix what needs fixing.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for all the reply's everyone. I certainly appreciate your advice/recommendations.

I will keep the forum up to date on the happenings!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 214V
I was in your shoes a few years ago and due to budget constraints really had search for a deal to get into a mc. I would not worry about the rust but you need to check all the fluids and then go out for a long water test, recheck all the fluids looking water in the oil and transmission fluid. It will turn milky looking. A compression check is also definetly a good idea but the water test will give you a decent idea of the power/smoothness and if you can get him to pull you even better.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
I have that same boat, PS 205. The rust on the manifolds and risers isn't a big deal. If they start to leak, you can easily change everything out for around $400. It isn't overly complicated and it is something you can do yourself.

As for the interior, the vinyl MC used in 2000 was complete garbage. I have had to replace just about every piece in my boat. Other folks I know with 2000s have had to do similar replacements.

Wow, under 500 hours. What is the asking price?

Tags
block, ltr, mastercraft, prostar 205, rust