Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 x-star
09 x-star fly high ballast

Hello, Iím looking at adding extra ballast to my 09 x-star. The kit I was going to purchase is the fly high.
I have a concerns about doing this upgrade. First off is the fact it is 2100lbs and the boat is only rated for 1700lbs. Do I need to be concerned about this? I usually run the boat with 5 adults 3 to 5 kids and a large cooler. I donít want to do anything that could risk our safety.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft X2 2007
In a X2, for a decent wake surfing wake I have around 500lbs of overload including people and it is really not a problem for the boat. So I imagine 500lbs of overload in a X-Star is really not a problem. So I let other people telling about their experience. For sure when overloading for water sports the lake should be calm. Do not fill it when wavy :-)

Prop ACME 1285 (14.5 x 14.25V L Spline)
Motor MCX

Last edited by bouchro; 06-27-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added prop and motor info
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
i have the flyhigh system in my 07 star. I've had 8 people + stock + flyhigh + 750 (total probably around ~5k) before, and i'll never fill it that full again. Not because i didnt think it was safe, because i'll never need a wake that big. it's definitely difficult to drive when you've got that much weight, boat will take water in from the front and back if you come off plane too quickly, its definitely an art. I would go ahead and do the upgrade, getting the rear 750's is totally worth it. people load up stars differently, and i had 8 adults on the boat and found that 1/2 flyhigh at 23 mph really suited my needs quite well, so you may not even fill it all the way full all the time.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X Star, 2005, Indmar
ballast

What engine do you have? How is it propped? I run the fly high plus factory with the 14.75x13OJ on my MCX engine Xstar. If I have more than 3 people in the boat the MCX will not get on plane unless 1 or 2 people are in the front. However it is the biggest wake you can hit with 2-3 people on the boat and planes out fine. When I have more than 3 people I just drop the weight in the back to about 1/2. With the extra people the wake is just as sweet.