Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft x2
Newbie to ballast please help

Boght on 03 x2. Appears to have two hard ballest I see one line in at bottom one out at top, and one fat sac in the middle, with three lines, it was leaking so took it out but the lies are still there. Three ballest switches, one works a pump under rear set, I think it worked the fat sac, the second switch is doing nothing (bad ump or fuse?). When I turn the third switch on I hear a pump running on drivers side. It now sure where it is. It looks like water comes in one line then flows through a manifold and out everywhere else, how does all this work what should I do to make it all work properly?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
I'm not 100% sure, but I would imagine the factory plumbing on your boat is the same as mine. From your description, it certainly sounds the same.

So, this is how it works:
- The thru-hull intake on the bottom of your boat connects to the distribution manifold just under the port side of the engine
- The manifold feeds 3 pumps (port locker, stbd locker, and under rear seat) and 2 above-water thru-hull discharge lines

- The port locker tank is filled/emptied by the pump behind the rear access panel in the port locker
- The bottom rear line on the port tank connects to its pump for fill/drain
- The front top line on the port tank connects to the thru-hull vent on the port side of the boat

- The stbd locker tank is filled/emptied by the pump behind the rear access panel in the stbd locker
- The bottom rear line on the stbd tank connects to its pump for fill/drain
- The front top line on the stbd tank connects to the thru-hull vent on the stbd side of the boat

- The centre ballast is filled/emptied by the pump under the rear seat
- The top two lines on the centre ballast bag are vent lines and connect to thru-hull fittings below the windshield on both sides of the boat
- The bottom line on the centre ballast bag connects to its pump for fill/drain

To start, you should probably change the impellers in all 3 pumps. Pull the rear access panels in both lockers to access the rear pumps. I'm betting the old black rubber impeller in the rear port pump is seized which is why that pump doesn't work. Use the green impellers as replacements. Wakemakers sells them. The pump performance will be way better with new impellers.

If the port pump still doesn't turn with the new impellers, you might need to replace the pump. If you do, flip it around so the pump head is down, like described in the thread linked below. With the pump head above the motor, sometimes water leaks through the pump seal and down the shaft into the motor, which tends to lead to a dead pump.

If you're looking to upgrade, here's a thread on a fairly easy way to do it.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Almost forgot...

When any pump runs in the "fill" direction, it sucks water from the underwater thru-hull into the manifold, through the pump, and into the ballast tank/bag. The two discharge lines on the manifold are equipped with check valves so they don't let the pump suck air in from the above-water thru-hull fittings when the manifold is under negative pressure.

When any pump runs in the "empty" direction, it sucks water from the ballast tank/bag, through the pump, into the manifold, and out the two discharge lines on either side of the boat. The line between the underwater thru-hull fitting and the manifold is equipped with a check valve so water won't be forced back out the underwater thru-hull when the pumps are "draining".

I assume it's done this way so you can see/hear when the water stops pouring out the above-water discharge lines (ballast tanks/bags are empty) and you can stop the pumps to prevent them running dry (hard on impellers).
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM
TT Regular

That was a huge help, thanks for your time. I switched the pump in the back that wasn't working with the one under the seat so I have two in the back working I hope. Now I'll work on the other pump. Can I reattach the center bag to the plunger like ends or do I have to buy a new sac? I put a cut off on the hose under the seat that runs to the manifold so that no water comes back through. Now I just need to get to the lake to test it out.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Not sure what you mean by "plunger like ends"?
On my KGB bag, the connectors are just barbed hose fittings that the hose slips over and tightens on with a band-clamp.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 PM
TT Regular

The hose is clamped to whatsed to be inside the bag. Does your bag have holes in it or is there a barbed end that the hose slides over? My bag just has holes on it now.
The pump,I took off..l I pulled the mpellerit seems fine but the pump still doesn't kick on. Isit just toast of should I start pulling it apart?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

My bag has barbed ends that the hose slides over. Sounds like you might need a new bag...

Try running the pump without the impeller in it and see if it moves. If not, I'd say it's toast.
What colour is the impeller?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM
TT Regular

Yellow. Yeah I think this bag is toast too, where can I buy a new one
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
check with wakemakers.com
Old 08-10-2012, 02:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdmann64 View Post
Yellow. Yeah I think this bag is toast too, where can I buy a new one
I'm thinking I'd like to replace mine too... did you have any luck finding a replacement? Size? Capacity?