Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190
Petronix upgrade

After purchasing an 87 PS that was allegedly upgraded to an electronic ignition, I began having running problems. Not being mechanical, I took it to a local inboard mechanic, who replaced the fuel pump, drained the gas tank and fuel lines, rebuilt the carb, and said I needed to replace the distributor and related items as the po, according to the mechanic, had mixed components in the ignition system. He recommended petronix as a replacement since he indicated this was Indmar's upgrade to the orginal non electronic system. It took 3 weeks to get the system after order was placed. Can anyone comment on the Petronix system as a replacement for the original non electronic ignition system? Good, bad, otherwise?
Old 10-31-2016, 04:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I did the Pertronix upgrade on my 88. Between that and a new carb, boat ran like a champ! No hard start problems, no weird idle or fueling issues, it just worked well.
I know it's too late, but the Pertronix upgrade isn't that hard to do, there's no reason you couldn't do it yourself.
Note- just re-read your post, not sure what you mean by 'system'. I just removed the rotor from my existing distributor and swapped in the Pertronix stuff. I did NOT replace the entire distributor (which your post suggests the mechanic did). Swapping out the rotor and a new carb did wonders for my boat, so I assume that if you're getting a new distributor, your boat should run really well, as your ignition and fueling should be spot on.
G
Old 10-31-2016, 06:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190
I used the term system since I really don't know what items are involved in the ignition system and mechanic said he was installing a new distributor and petronix. I am not sure about whether it takes a regulator, or condensor, etc. anyway, the cost is, you'll love this , labor included, ONLY $650!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I have had a Pertronix Ignitor II electronic ignition and a Flamethrower II coil for a number of years and they have worked wonderfully. Those are the only two components involved in an electronic ignition system and they don't need to be from the same source - just compatible with each other.

While people favor electronic ignition over points ignition for the performance gain and the simplicity of not having to change and adjust points, electronic ignition systems do need some attention now and then. They require full battery voltage. If you have any corrosion, poor connections or faulty wiring, they will perform very poorly or not at all. Simple enough to check voltage to your coil occasionally.....something you should do if you have points as well.

$125 LED LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBURETORS - $249 DELIVERED
Email - tiresplease@gmail.com