Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-15-2013, 04:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
Thanks for the tip, the mechanic i used only said i would have a rough idle if i circumvented the breathers. Also, the K&N filter is coast guard approved, thanks for the concern. Almost done with it all, can't wait for the summer. Recently got some LED tape for the inside to go around the perimeter, looks great. Also very convenient at night and easy on the battery. Finally got the PoliGlow in the mail, if you haven't done that to your boat yet get on it. That stuff is amazing, the boat looks brand new. No more wax and no more streaks. Just need to trim out all the wires and this will be wrapped up. Does anybody happen to know the ohms rating for the fuel gauge?
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2013, 04:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes
Looks great! Did you just use Poliglow to get that shine?

Also - where did you get the LED lights? Great addition!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
TT Regular

yes that's poliglow the next day without any wax, buffing, anything. The LED tape is available on amazon by a company called sainstyle. It hooks directly up to the battery and comes with a remote with 20 preset colors, strobe, brightness, and random options. I would recommend finding one with a hardwired remote as mine comes with a infrared system and i know i'll eventually lose the remote. 5 meters is enough to go from behind the drivers seat, under the dash, around the observer seat, and down to the end of the boat. 10 meters would probably get the whole boat but i have a speaker box running down the starboard so i didn't mind. i used superglue to get it to stick to the coarse fiberglass. $35. I've got the underwater LEDs coming in the mail, can't wait for those.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft X25
Looks great so far and congrats. Nice to see people refurbishing the Classics. After that wheels and tires. Would like to hear more about the Poliglow.

Last edited by ProStar200; 02-17-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 PM
TT Regular

The poliglow has been the best investment I've made so far. It took the boat from old but niceish from a distance to looking brand new. It goes on like a varnish. Lots and lots of prep work though, you have to wash the boat thoroughly with the included spray. It strips the wax off and helps with streaks and blemishes. The poliglow goes on after and seals everything in. You put on a few layers as it dries in a couple minutes with an included applicator. DO NOT DO IT CLOSE TO DUSK. I did, thinking like a wax oriented individual and the dew from night time in Texas accumulated as it was setting and I had to strip the whole boat and start over.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM
TT Regular

My favorite thing about it is I didn't have to replace the decals or grind away another layer of the gelcoat. That's what put me in that direction instead of wet sanding.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
My favorite thing about it is I didn't have to replace the decals or grind away another layer of the gelcoat. That's what put me in that direction instead of wet sanding.
I wonder how well that would work on fiberglass trailer fenders that are faded?
Where can you buy it?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
I'm intrested in poliglow also.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 200 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
yes that's poliglow the next day without any wax, buffing, anything. The LED tape is available on amazon by a company called sainstyle. It hooks directly up to the battery and comes with a remote with 20 preset colors, strobe, brightness, and random options. I would recommend finding one with a hardwired remote as mine comes with a infrared system and i know i'll eventually lose the remote. 5 meters is enough to go from behind the drivers seat, under the dash, around the observer seat, and down to the end of the boat. 10 meters would probably get the whole boat but i have a speaker box running down the starboard so i didn't mind. i used superglue to get it to stick to the coarse fiberglass. $35. I've got the underwater LEDs coming in the mail, can't wait for those.
That looks like a nice LED setup, does it need to be wired directly to the battery or can you connect it to an existing interior lighting circuit?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM
TT Regular

LED's are really simple for 12 volt applications. They don't require much power and can be hardwired into just about anything on the boat, even the speaker wire. If it goes into the speaker wire it lights up with the music, not for me though. I have a small terminal set up by the battery so it makes it easy for me to just take accessories to that spot like the radio. I think the poliglow would work on your fiberglass trailer fenders, the idea behind it is the polymer fills microscopic pits in the finish of the gelcoat and (i think) fiberglass. The reason the gel coat loses it's shine is because the pits redirect the sun in various directions instead of having a uniform finish. I would go for it. The kit is on amazon, somewhere around sixty doll hairs. It's enough to do a small boat several times over.