Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-08-2012, 03:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205 1998 5.7 Vortec
Set-up suggestions for 98' 205?

I am looking for suggestions on ballast set-ups for a 98' 205.

Who can give me some info on what has worked for wakeboarding? I would also like to get a surf wake if at all possible. Is it possible to surf on the starboard side of the wake...my brother and I are goofy foot.

Lastly does anyone have any info on how to maximize wake for slalom and barefooting?

I know...we do a lot of things behind this boat.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Don't know much about surfing, but for slalom and barefooting the optimum is no extra weight, driver and observer only. Sometimes, depending on the weight of my observer I may put a bit of weight on the port side to even it out. I find my prostar tends to "lean" to starboard, which makes the left wake different from the right. I think it's something to do with the prop rotation.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobinge View Post
I am looking for suggestions on ballast set-ups for a 98' 205.

Who can give me some info on what has worked for wakeboarding? I would also like to get a surf wake if at all possible. Is it possible to surf on the starboard side of the wake...my brother and I are goofy foot.

Lastly does anyone have any info on how to maximize wake for slalom and barefooting?

I know...we do a lot of things behind this boat.

Thanks for the help!
Check out Wakemakers.com I got two of the 750 lb sacks for surfing and a tsunami pump to fill. They recommend one sack on each side of the engine for wakeboarding. For surf one across the back slid to which ever side you surf and the second on the Side of the motor on the surf side. That set up and a few folks in the boat and you'll have water splashing over the gascap when surfing.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Even my stars and stripes puts out a respectable wake with two 750's. Just need to work out the placement once their in. Alternately, leave them back and add a bow sac if needed.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
A killer setup for maximum boarding wake would be two 750s along the engine, set as far back along the rear seat as possible, and around 600lbs in the nose. You may not want to fill the 750's all the way depending on if you like a vert wake or a more ramps feeling wake. Tho depending on your riding speed rope length you may want to go a little lighter.

Say around 500 on each side and around 450 in the nose if you ride the 20-23mph range

As far as surfing plop the opposite side 750 on top the rear seat at around 1/2 to 3/4 full and have at it at around 10mph give or take a few
Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
A killer setup for maximum boarding wake would be two 750s along the engine, set as far back along the rear seat as possible, and around 600lbs in the nose. You may not want to fill the 750's all the way depending on if you like a vert wake or a more ramps feeling wake. Tho depending on your riding speed rope length you may want to go a little lighter.
x2 for a DD it puts out a great wake that I'll never meet the true potential. I'd also look at which prop you're using if getting on plane is an issue with the added weight. I recently switched to Acme 543 from smooth 4 blade and for some reason the wake seems to have a better lip (and better slalom wake at speed) and gets on plane much faster.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:50 PM
MC Devotee

You will def notice a change in the wake going to that 3 blade from and older 4 blade. IT will firm up the wake and also add to the hardness of the lip. Which as FNG has experienced. That particular 3 blade has more surface area than the standard 4 that used to be on it.

The running angle of the rear end changes just a bit when using those huge Acme 3 blade props compared to older 4 blades. I haven't been able to do a side by side with the newer Acme/Oj 14.25/14.5 4blades to the huge 3 blades though.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Sorry for the ignorance but what do you mean "running angle"?

Another thing I've noticed is that the boat will "shudder for 1-2 seconds if I reverse at more than a brisk walk speed. Any ideas because I didn't notice with the old 4 blade (already checked and rechecked prop fit, transmission fluid, etc)? sorry for thread hijack
Old 06-11-2012, 07:58 PM
MC Devotee

I don't recall witch way it goes from the 3 blade to the 4blade but one wil give u a bit more lift in the water causing your stern to ride just a bit higher. Also the prop wash that comes out between the 3blade and 4blade is different so at ski speeds the table is affected a bit more. Again I don't recall which does what and its very very small. You can't visually notice or feel a change in the way the boat rides. You just feel it in the wakes. You can also feel a little difference in the rudder pressure while at speed and turning. Again all small variations but u can feel a bit of change.

Al props shutter a bit in reverse. Partly due to the reverse flow and air pockets caused by the turbulence of water flow around the rudder It's more noticeable with the 3blade due to the surface area of each blade and the amount of water your pushing compared to you old 4 blade. Again this is all assuming uyou had an older 4blade. There are def other factors, but these are the two easiest to understand and account for between props

Last edited by swatguy; 06-11-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks, swat! I did think the bow rode a little lower with the new prop but thought I was over analyzing everything (when I changed it I rode for an hour without music and shushed the gf more than once). Btw I think your input was respectable when it came to the xstar discussion, without critical analysis you won't get product improvements.