Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Boat Alarm

Most of the time when we return from skiing we stop for dinner with our trailered boats. We usually have to park were we cannot see our boats, but in well lit and open parking lots. There is a lot of gear in my boat and I don’t like having to move it into the van and back out of the van just for a 30 minute dinner. So I thought it would be cool to have an alarm that would page me so I could run out of the store/restaurant and chase them away.
My requirements were; pager, radar type proximity sensor with two stages, one warns you that you are too close, the other sets off the full alarm. While I was at it, I thought the voice warnings would be cool instead of chirps and honks.

First step was a paging alarm system with a radar sensor. I bought the Astra 777. It was one of the cheapest paging systems and radar sensor combos that I could find. The radar sensor was a piece of crap and I replaced it with an Audiovox model AS-23. Tests in the driveway were satisfactory on the two stage.

If I was going to go through the trouble of adding a voice, I figured why not a fully programmable one. Bought the DEI 516L Recordable Voice Alarm add-on module that has 5 second programmable voice warnings. My first stage warning says “Move away from the boat, surveillance system activated”. The second stage says “intruder alert, surveillance system recording.”

I also put some cheesy LED arrays that scan back and forth, ala Knight Rider. I slap them onto the windshield brace, held on by Velcro. I have them set up to turn on when the system is armed.

I also put a relay on the tower light’s dashboard switch so that they can be turned on either by hand or a stage one alarm.

So last week we stopped for dinner, parked our cars/boats in the parking lot but just out of sight from where we were eating. Half way through dinner the pager went off. I ran outside and sure enough there was a guy next to my boat stealing

…….the cardboard boxes out of the dumpster next to my boat.

After using it about a dozen times, I can report 2 false alarms, one dumpster diver caught and successfully “catching” my kids testing it four times.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:03 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Thats funny Dan.. Nice work..

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 08-22-2005, 10:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Wow! Your alarm system not only gives you peace of mind, but also provides a great story! Thanks for the chuckle tonight.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:13 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Dan you kill me. Maybe we should start calling you MacGyver. Why not add some passive infrared sensors?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '01 PS 190 EVO, 330 LTR, Powerslot, PP Dig Pro, ZeroFlex minitower
Way to go, 5-0.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
Dan you kill me. Maybe we should start calling you MacGyver. Why not add some passive infrared sensors?

Infrared has too much range and flakey sensitivity settings. The better "radar" proximity sensors have more precise short range performance. I have it dialed in pretty well now. If you get within 2 feet of the side of the boat the first stage warning goes off. I you wave a hand around inside the boat the second stage will go off.

I try to make sure I am never more than 12 feet away from a roll of duct tape or a swiss army knife.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:40 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC
Infrared has too much range and flakey sensitivity settings. The better "radar" proximity sensors have more precise short range performance.
Nah-ahhh...You just don't have the big bucks and security clearance to see the good stuff my friend. I could tell ya' about it but than I'd have to kill ya.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
Nah-ahhh...You just don't have the big bucks and security clearance to see the good stuff my friend. I could tell ya' about it but than I'd have to kill ya.
Also the infrared is a beam sensor/transmitter using line of sight. The "radar" sensor is more omni-directional and goes through things. Makes the "radar" sensor easier to install on a boat with only one sensor.

You're right, it's all a trade-off for the Benjamins. But then why not just put a Phalanx Gattling gun on my tower? They are old enough that I should be able to get one cheap.

btw I would bet that my security clearances get me into places you have never heard of. Let's just say I know how to spell Reconnaissance and Surveillance without a dictionary .
Attached Images

Last edited by DanC; 08-23-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:12 PM
MC Platinum

Well I'll say you would amazed with what they can do with PIR. Some of the ways they are utlizing it in certain types of ordnance would blow you away. Also, depending on the censor you can get 360 degree coverage and vary sensitivity settings.

Of course like anything their is a way to beat it. If you actually move slow enough (I mean like inches per 10 seconds) you can walk up on PIR. Try it next time you go to the grocery store. See how close you can get. Don't worry about all the people staring at you.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:18 PM
MC Platinum

Dan--Just put a few of these around your boat. They have a directional shape charge so the blast and frag shouldn't cause any damage to the 209.

http://ndmic-cidnm.forces.gc.ca/land...LandmineID=302