Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 08-22-2005, 05:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '03 X-30, LQ9
See anything missing on my checklist?

With all this talk about storing boats, I made a checklist. Some things I will do myself - others I will let my dealer. Some items are to be performed quarterly/annually, but I just lumped them in with end of the season winterization. Have I missed anything or should any steps be switched from end of season to beginning of season?

Last edited by BigBarney; 08-22-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:54 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I posted these a while back, but since we lost some pictures, I don't know if it's still up. If I've left anything out, please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WINTERIZATION CHECKLIST.zip (7.0 KB, 402 views)
File Type: zip DEWINTERIZATION CHECKLIST.zip (3.5 KB, 270 views)

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Master Craft X2 MCX
Doug,

I noticed you mentioned using the pink Antfreeze. If I don't have an engine with Aluminum heads, does it matter what type of antifreeze I use??

Brandon

Last edited by bfinley; 08-22-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205
Why do you change the oil and filter for winterization? Why not wait until spring?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmithaz
Why do you change the oil and filter for winterization? Why not wait until spring?
It gets rid of any worries if there is water in the oil or not. Water=Corrosion or Ice

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 08-23-2005, 05:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
The only thing I do differently is I have a tool list next to each item & a master tool list at the top. That way I'm not taking my entire tool box to the boat to winterize/de-winterize, only the ones I need.
Also - in your winterization process I include:

remove water-pump belt (you're supposed to just relieve the tension, but that's impossible on mine - it's tight at it's loosest position)

Remove battery - place in heated area

Block trailer up so tires don't have weight on them (no flat spots in the spring).
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:30 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinley
Doug,

I noticed you mentioned using the pink Antfreeze. If I don't have an engine with Aluminum heads, does it matter what type of antifreeze I use??

Brandon
I haven't read that checklist in a while. The origin of the pink antifreeze was from a JimN post many moons ago. It was in reference to winterizing an LT1, so you might be right on that one. As for me, I don't bother with antifreeze. Just drain really good and I'm fine. I run it once a month in the winter for the carb, so antifreeze would be a PITA. Plus, it's garaged in Texas so I'm not too worried about the hard freezes.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinley
Doug,

I noticed you mentioned using the pink Antfreeze.
If I don't have an engine with Aluminum heads, does it matter what type of antifreeze I use??

Brandon
The anti-freeze they are refering to is pink RV ANTI_FREEZE not pink GM automotive anti freeze!!!!!

Any RV antifreeze will work, so don't even think about using the automotive stuff.

Last edited by JDK; 08-23-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
One thing I'd change is moving Sta-Bil to the top of the list. You want to have it in the tank and thru the engine while its warming up for the oil changes.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 08-23-2005, 03:13 PM
MC Hero

On the sta-bil thing, go ahead and top off, too. Don't leave room for condensation.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club