Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 08-22-2005, 05:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X7, MCX
SS prop on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cutte...69687263QQrdZ1

Anyone heard of these? My neighbor ended up hitting a log and loosing a weekend waiting for Monday to buy a new prop..so I am thinking about a spare.

Rather than getting something cheap, I was thinking that I might want to buy a high quality prop and go ahead and switch it keeping the stock prop as a spare. This is based on the assumption that the stock prop has room for improvement as most stock props do.

Any thoughts? I am not really looking to change the characteristics of the boat, it has a great holeshot and top end is 45mph or more so I cant improve too much with that...but smoother is always better.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 81 Stars & Stripes
I wouldn't want to hit anything with a stainless prop. The damage just goes farther into the drivetrain, such as shaft, trans etc...

Look at the CNC'd props like ACME or OJ offer. Do a search on "Prop" and you should find plenty of info and opinions on this site.

I have an ACME that is new this year and I find the performance improvement very impressive.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:23 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Thatís what I just did. Changed for a new prop and kept the stock prop as the spare. I donít really like the SS but Iím sure itís a great prop. Does your boat have a 4 blade stock??

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 08-22-2005, 07:02 PM
MC Fanatic

No, its a standard 3 blade. I really dont know much about them, other than the basics. I just happened across that specific auction somehow.

Anyway, I am going to research the site now.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2005, 07:12 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
"A minor strike is very likely to damage a nibral propeller, while leaving stainless props undamaged." Directly off of that link.

This is exactly what Dan was talking about. You'd rather have the prop give than have transmission or shaft damage. That's why NIBRAL's are soft.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Now that I am thinking about it...mine might be a 4 blade.

2004 X7 with the MCX.

Not wanting/needing to change much top end, and doing way more wake boarding than slalom skiing, what is the general consensus of the best prop?

Any additional options since the last review?

I couldn't find the prop test thingy when I searched, but then again I didn't go more than three pages down.