Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Leroy

Homemade salom ski course

Has anyone made their own course? I have looked a little at it and doesn't seem too difficult, but it's always the details that get you. Still trying to balance buying one or making one. Looks like $500-$800 to buy one and probably $300 to make one. Looks like traditional centerline system is easiest to make.

Where I am at would have to drop in quickly, ski and then pull back out when I leave.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
I can understand making one, but how do you go about constructing the mainline? I mean you need those diamond shaped cable rigs to hook it to the PVC pipes. How do you do the diamonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
I can't believe the Dr. Jim jokes haven't started yet
Old 08-22-2005, 04:57 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I made one. Bought 900 feet of rope and measured off the lengths. Initially used a long section of PVC to line up the gates and turn balls at the premeasured points. I was using individual anchors so I could just clip the buoys and go.

In the end, I ended up with a bend in the course. I then got a 200 some odd foot strand of rope and marked the distances on it. With two people in the water and one person in a john boat helping us align the buoys by sight, we got it lined up. We then lined up our turn balls by sight. We remeasured the distances between all the balls and got it accurate down to the inch. Added magnets later. Skis great and gets good times.

On the mainline, if you use rope in shallow water, make sure you get something that doesn't float or that's low stretch. The tension to keep 900 feet of rope submerged is pretty great.

Our course works great for us. If you're planning to remove it, look for a used portable course.

Or, you can go to www.wakesiderides.com and look for the how to build your own slalom course "how to." It used to be on the malibu board, so I think that's where it is now.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Triton 176 Mag
Just buy Farmer's, I'll make you a good deal on it!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:09 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
I made one years ago. Not sure it's worth it though. The expense of the materials ended up not being much less than buying a pre-made course, not to mention the time involved in designing and constructing the course. Case in point: After my home-made course was stolen, I bought a used course for about the same amount.

BTW, if I don't find some locals to ski with around here soon, or find a permanent course my wife can pull me through, I may just give up skiing and sell my portable course... stay tuned. The wife wants a Carolina Skiff!

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 08-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Leroy

Yeah, those could be some of the details.....any hints! I really need to see a real course.

I think I can put a PVC T fitting at the point where the two drive buoys go up, that spreads the diamond out, then you run the main rope through one end and another piece of rope through the other end and attach the ropes at each end.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Leroy

Great inputs, thanks Doug! I was hoping to align on a football field or something like that. Pretty amazing the distances! I like building stuff like this and may be able to get a friend to go in with.

OK Brad, I'm almost afraid to ask, what's the deal?

DOn't give up Shepherd!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Leroy

Doug; Do you have start buoys on each end? Looks like that takes the rope length up to ~1200 feet.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:51 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
No 55m gates yet. Just haven't gotten around to it. Perhaps a good project for the Spring. Again, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably just use one 200' section of rope and measure things out that way, aligning by site. The only reason to have a 900' (or 1200') strand of rope (in my situation at least) is to leave it in there so you can find everything faster. Right now, we have a reference line to one boat guide and used the measured rope to find the rest of the boat guides. As for the rest of the anchors, I can just hop around in the mud until I find them.
Attached Images

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.