Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Big Air Towers

I am entertaining the thought of a playset for my 190. Haters, go forth to another thread...

While it is apparent that ND is the best choice for a 190 tower, they are also one of the most expensive. Which is fine for a new boat, but with future resale in mind, a cost effective solution might be better.

Has anyone used Big Air Towers products, out of Oklahoma? The Vapor model they sell has similar lines to the ND for a fraction of the price.

New Dimensions on a 91-94 PS190

Big Air Towers Vapor on a 91-94 PS190

The second picture is not mounted to follow the lines of the windshield like it should IMO, but looks good overall.

Thoughts?

(somehow both of these pictures have the same color boat as mine, making for good reference...)

Last edited by Lumbergh; 06-03-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 LT1
I am close to getting the same tower for my 190
Old 06-03-2012, 07:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205 Sammy Duvall LT1 330hp
I struggled for over a year with which tower to put on my 205 because I love the look of the boat without a tower. Slalom ski, pair of adult skis, pair of kids skis, adult wakeboard, kids wakeboard, there was too much gear and I was tired of constantly moving it around the boat.

I was looking at the Aerial Airborne, which looks exactly like the Big Air, and the ND. Even though it was more the double the money I went with the ND.

Why:
-It's supposedly what MC would have used if they put a tower on the 205
-ND reputation for great quality
-It's narrower
-The curve of the front arm and the overall lines look better IMO
-Heard the finish on the cheaper towers looks bad after a short time
-And the biggest reason is the ND folds forward. I still have a lot of work to do and the work is usually done on rainy days in the garage. The thought of having to pull the boat out of the garage and putting the tower up to work on it, or to completely remove that portion of the tower was the deal breaker.

The fact that Wayne gave me a great deal made the decision that much easier.
Now the agonizing wait till I get to my boat and can install the tower!

My 2 cents
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft Pro Star 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
I am entertaining the thought of a playset for my 190. Haters, go forth to another thread...

While it is apparent that ND is the best choice for a 190 tower, they are also one of the most expensive. Which is fine for a new boat, but with future resale in mind, a cost effective solution might be better.

Has anyone used Big Air Towers products, out of Oklahoma? The Vapor model they sell has similar lines to the ND for a fraction of the price.

New Dimensions on a 91-94 PS190

Big Air Towers Vapor on a 91-94 PS190

The second picture is not mounted to follow the lines of the windshield like it should IMO, but looks good overall.

Thoughts?

(somehow both of these pictures have the same color boat as mine, making for good reference...)

Although I agree this tower looks good and similar to the ND, it seems like they have one size fits all sizing? If that is the case, I don't think you could mount the tower any further forward to get it to follow the window line better. It looks like the front "feet" would hang over and have nothing to be mounted to.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, ps209, 2001, 330,
When searching for a tower for my 209 I finally settled on the ND tower. Yes it was more expensive but It fits and looks great. In terms of resale the tower will certainly influence price but the better the fit of any mods the more the "right" buyer will be willing to pay for it. IMHO the person looking to buy a 190 does not want the tower especially if it doesn't look like it is integrated in the lines of the boat. But the right tower shouldn't deter them.

I was inpressed with how well the ND tower fit my boat. I was figureing that it would take an entire day to line up and install when in fact the task was completed in close to 2 hrs. I assembled it and set it on the boat and it settled into a natural position that looked great. I attribute this fit to the engineering from NDT. No tweaks were necessary.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
My '87 190 had a ND installed by the previous owner and I have been very pleased with it. The tower in this thread also looks good to me as far as matching th elines of the 190 and there's a write up on the install.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...=tower+install
Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Prostar 190
I happen to be one of the fools that put a tower on a classic. I went with a big air tower but this was at least 5 years ago when they only had the one model. I guess now it would be considered the H20 tower. The quality is good of the material, the install was pretty easy as well(remember not to lay down after drilling through fiberglass sweaty and no shirt , makes for an itchy afternoon), the towers that are universal can be adjusted width-wise so you can mount as far forward or rearward as needed to accomplish the look desired. I paid the extra $100 to have it powdercoated black and that is my one complaint, the coating began to peel off within 2-3 years, it's still just the area around the mounting locations but still bothers me. I don't raise and lower mine often so I ditched the pins and fastened most of the connections with stainless bolts and nylon insert nuts for added rigidity. Overall, a great value for the cost, good pull, very low noise(squeeking), and strength.
Attached Images