Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-22-2005, 09:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: '82 Mastercraft Skier - 351 PleasureCraft
'82 S&S -- sac'd out

Has anyone experienced this problem?

I had the carb rebuilt on my S&S two weeks ago, new fuel filter and plugs, timing set to 10 or 11. It had been running great until yesterday when I filled up the fat sac (500 lbs) and had a few people in the boat. After a couple of sets, it started loosing power when starting off. Couple of pulls later it just died out. Tried to crank again and it wouldn't turn over -- no action at all when turning the key.

So, on to plan B, hang out and think about it over some beer -- drained the sac. Storm rolled up, so we jumped back in and try to crank -- same thing, won't do a thing. Jumped it over the cellanoid and it cranked right up and ran great again.

Previous owner put electronic egnition on it -- could this be going bad? Any other ideas -- could it be water getting in gas and the ignition thing be a seperate issue?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:33 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Jumped it over the cellanoid and it cranked right up and ran great again.
Sounds like the solenoid to me. It's a $20-30 part. Change it and see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Also, insure the wire from your key switch to the "S" terminal on that new solenoid is good - my good friends here at Mammock's Motor Electric say if it doens't have FULL voltage, you won't get good starts - for me, changing out this wire solved the probelm for me. My wire LOOKED good but apparently wasn't, so....

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme
Old 08-22-2005, 03:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '82 Mastercraft Skier - 351 PleasureCraft
Thanks for the advice, I will definately change out the solenoid (guess thats the proper spelling) and check that wire -- it will sometimes go a couple trips before the ignition acts up like this, so it hasn't bothered me enough to change it yet.

Would that cause the engine to bog down when it's under a heavy load with the fat sac's? I saw a thread that it could the the fuel pump or accelerator pump diaphram -- anyone know where I can find these on an old '82?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:22 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Fuel pump on PCM motors is on the front left near the bottom of the motor.