Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-21-2005, 11:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
New Float on Bilge Pump

OK folks, I can't say how many times I have read a post that your automatic bilges are not working. Mine wasn't working either.

This weekend I finally got around to fixing it and am a bit embarrased how easy it was. I should not have waited this long. It took $23 at Boaters World for a new float, a couple of stainless steel screws from the local hardware store, and less than 30 mintes of my time.

So, get off your couch and go replace the floats on your bilge pumps.

Oh yeah, why not oil your teak swim deck while you're it.

Have a great week.

RickDV
Old 08-22-2005, 11:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
Just found out this weekend mine is not working in auto mode, probably never has. I am going to relocate it to the lowest point in the bilge, instead of the back. Just for kicks I filled the bilge to see how high the water needs to be, before the pump would start working and was surprised to see how high the level was. Definitely the next project on the list.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Kinda nice when something works out that easy.

Last month my bilge pump did not appear to be working. Light on the switch came on but no pumping. Went home and prepared of the worst, bad wire or connector, burnt pump......

First good news. The bilge pump popped right out of the floor mount, no screws, just snap tabs.

Second good news. This bilge pump has a wire screen that pops right out and is easily cleaned. Mine was clogged with carpet fibers.

Fixed in 10 minutes, $0.

Thank you Mastercraft for choosing the nicer model of bilge pump that is easier to work on and will last longer.

Bad news. There is nothing in the owners manual about this. Hey Mastercraft, at least supply the OEM installation information. With my previous boats (non-MC) they included the steering system manufacture's documentation, throttle components documentation, etc. I am sure it would be worth your effort by reducing complaints and uneccessary warranty calls.