Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 MC 197 TT MCX
1987 ProStar oil drain rate

Folks --

Been dealing with this issue for 10+ years so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if others have had similar issues.

1987, 351, velvet drive 1:1, completely original and well maintained, 1200 hours (1000+ salt water)

There is a drain tube connected to the bottom of the oil pan which is routed out the drain plug -- I imagine this is the same for other boats. I warm up the motor before changing the oil. The drain rate is extremely slow and never yields the full 4+ qts. I have lowered the front of the trailer to its lowest setting in the hopes of increased draining to no avail. I have considered running some weed whacker string up the drain tube but it surely will not handle the 90 deg bend entering the oil pan.

The local dealer suggested I may have sludge build up in the pan inhibiting the drain.

Any thoughts, tips or helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Voodoo
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
I have an 87 too same issues slow drain and low yield.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Pretty much normal condition, some folks hook a drill pump to the drain hose to aid in draining.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
If you are going to run anything up the drain hose run compressed air after the oil has drained to see if is is clear. Just a quick burst will let you know if it is blocked. More than likely it is normal. Changing the oil is normally a few beer job. Most of the time drinking beer watching the oil drain really slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
typically slow, I have similar results on my 93. I started using my hand pump suction pump by sticking the suction tube up in the oil drain hose and it helped speed up the process.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo93prostar View Post
Mastercraft: Face It - If you are not a good skier behind this boat, you are not a good skier.
Nice.......I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
My '89 TriStar is the same. I think the problem is that the drain hose has a significant horizontal run before running through the bottom of the hull.

Has anyone tried forcing air into the dipstick tube to push the oil out faster? I'll try that next autumn.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
87 ProStar. Same issue. Got it nice and warm and only got out 2.9 quarts (I measured) after letting it drain for several days.

Pretty disappointing. I think it has something to do with the drain plug being on the side of the pan and not the bottom. No idea why they did it this way.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Take the oil fill cap off and it will drain a good bit quicker.

I still generally let it drain overnight... it can be a very slow process.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 MC 197 TT MCX
Thank you

Folks --

Thanks for all the replies -- it is good to know that my oil drain experiences are "normal".

Since several of you have boats near the same vintage as mine perhaps you wouldn't mind answering another question. Where do you buy your ignition tune-up parts? Indmar tune-up kits or from the local auto parts store? I have done a poor job of record keeping and every time I go to the auto store for points, condenser and cap it is like finding a needle in a haystack. Do any of you have a sure solution -- like "1980 Bronco 351", or something similar that usually works?

Thanks again,
Voodoo