Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
slalom junkies!

I need help. I am a slalom junkie with a family and a budget. I am looking for a used ski boat, preferably open bow to accomodate the family. Hopefully nobody whips me, but I have been mainly looking at Malibus. I really like this forum and I know MC makes great boats as well so I thought I should get some opinions. I am trying to stay $15k or less. I am looking at Malibu Echelon LX's, Malibu Sunsetter LX's, and now Prostar 205's. Can some skiers out there tell me if they have skied any of these boats and how they compare. Also, from reading the FAQ thread it sounds like I'm better off with the 92-95 PS205 for a better slalom wake? Input please!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by itch2ski View Post
I need help. I am a slalom junkie with a family and a budget. I am looking for a used ski boat, preferably open bow to accomodate the family. Hopefully nobody whips me, but I have been mainly looking at Malibus. I really like this forum and I know MC makes great boats as well so I thought I should get some opinions. I am trying to stay $15k or less. I am looking at Malibu Echelon LX's, Malibu Sunsetter LX's, and now Prostar 205's. Can some skiers out there tell me if they have skied any of these boats and how they compare. Also, from reading the FAQ thread it sounds like I'm better off with the 92-95 PS205 for a better slalom wake? Input please!
The 92-95 205 will be by far the best boat for you. I am not here to bash Malibu but you will get a far greater boat and better quality with the MC of that year then the BU with what you are wanting to spend.

That being said, I would have no problem skiing a 98 and up LXI or 98 and up Ski "N" but you would have to spend more money to get into those years. Your price range is best suited for the 92-95. The early to mid 90's BU just does not have the craftsmanship that the MC has and the Ski "N" has a stiff wake until the 98 model.

I am in a ski club with over 50 members, and I have skied behind lots of boats. Take away the PRIDE of what you own and it comes down to the wake and how much you want to spend on the wake. The 205 will be a better built boat (NO WOOD) and have the best wake for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-29-2012, 02:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1991, 351w
I have a 93' ps205 that is an awesome boat. Slalom wake is soft and flat and the boat has held together very well. One of my best friends has a 97 sunsetter lx. It is a larger, more family friendly boat (wider and has more freeboard). His boat is noticeably quicker than mine (more power and fuel injected) however the wake is slightly taller and firmer than mine. That said it is still a fine boat and I would say the build quality is extremely similar.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft PS 205 1997
Agree with Kyle on all points.....also if you have not yet done so, please read the "frequently asked questions" section regarding the 205 model. There is a lot of great information in that thread.

I will add that we own a 97 PS 205 and I am the slalom junkie of the family. The wake behind our boat is a firm bump but nothing to shy away from. The benefits of the later 205's is the overall ability of the boat. It has a great entry to mid level wake for wakeboarding, add some corner weight and you can learn to wake surf and with glass like water we have barefooted. Overall it is a boat that can do it all very well but is not a "best in class" at any activity. Since we are not, nor will be challenging the best in any activity we will enjoy this boat for years to come.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 197 TT
Love my 197 but stick with 05 and newer if you can find one at that cost. I wouldnt sell you mine at that price point so you may want to look at the 205s. I only see great reviews!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 04 TT 197
Hi
If you are looking at BU's for slalom don't go for anything but the response lx. My buddy has a 99 and its good.
That being said, I have owned two MC 205's and they were amazing. My fave was my 93, which didn't have fuel injection but still ran like a top. It had an awesome slalom wake and was super family friendly.
The 205 will have great resale value and great quality.
Do a search, there are tons of threads on that boat.
Good luck with the search and good luck slaying buoys this summer!

04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
PB 1@35off
Previous...
96 Prostar 205 Lt1
93 Prostar 205 HO
81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)
Old 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 98 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkblaida View Post
I will add that we own a 97 PS 205 and I am the slalom junkie of the family. The wake behind our boat is a firm bump but nothing to shy away from. The benefits of the later 205's is the overall ability of the boat. It has a great entry to mid level wake for wakeboarding, add some corner weight and you can learn to wake surf and with glass like water we have barefooted. Overall it is a boat that can do it all very well but is not a "best in class" at any activity. Since we are not, nor will be challenging the best in any activity we will enjoy this boat for years to come.
Please don't "miss" how profound this statement is. I have a 98 PS 190 - not a 205 I know, but it allows my family, friends and I to try anything. We too will never approach "best in class", but have been very happy to be able to do anything. Outside of maintenance, the boat hasn't cost me a dime in 5 years. These are the two reasons I bought a MC and it's served me well.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Pretty much back what everyone has said already. 92-95 205. In 94, they introduced the fuel injection so that was my secondary criteria. I looked and looked for just the right 94-95 205 with the LT1 engine. Definitely worth it and an awesome ski wake!

Plus room for the whole family! I have 3 daughters and my wife and that fits great! We also bring others when necessary and it's nice the 205 can handle that load.

I did also look at Bu's and Nautiques but I wanted the best ski wake I could find. The 205 was ranked very highly. I did consider the Nautique SNOB but have heard that the ski wake was compromised slightly and not quite the ski wake as the MC. Additionally, if I wanted fuel injection, I need to get something like a 98' or so. Can't quite remember but it was recommended to get the TSC2 or TSC3 hull if possible......so that meant a newer boat (aka higher price).

94-95 205 was old enough to keep it under that $15k mark easily.

I didn't like the fit and finish of the BU's in that era so I eliminated that from the list pretty quickly.

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-29-2012, 10:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
We have a PS205 '97. I have 5 kids and we all fit fine. It can be a chore climbing over the fat sacks when surfing or wakeboarding, but not really a big deal. I slalom 90% of the time, and when I go for an early morning run with just a couple of my kids I will pull the back seat, and I also keep the fuel at under 1/2 tank. Shedding a few lbs really makes a noticeable difference in the wake. I love my boat. I spent 15k and it came with a great stereo and tower, a trailer and cover, and a few kids wet suits and vests.

When I get the $$ I will redo the vinyl, carpet, and gelcoat. I've kicked around the idea of getting a new X7, but I think I'll hang on to this and put the $$ towards a used X35 for big water and family days when we just hang out on the water with no intent to ski.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:45 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I have a 1995 205 and I love the tow and the wake or lack there of...

Tags
prostar, ps205, ski, slalom