Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X45
Decal Removal and gel coat TLC

Newbie here and this forum has been so helpful! I've browsed so many threads when researching boats and am stoked with the new-to-me MC x45 we just bought a couple weeks ago. It is a 2005 and has been well cared for with excellent interior. I want to update the graphics so when the sun came out here in the pac NW Saturday spent a solid 8 hours working on the boat.

Suggestions here were helpful for decal removal. Harbor Freight special $8 heat gun and some patience and got both huge decals off. Was worried about the shadowing on the black gel coat underneath, but surprisingly not much at all!

Used BrianM's and others suggestions for compounding. Used 3M super duty compound with wool pad on the PC7424xp. Little wet sanding at 2000 and 1500 grit on the deeper scratches but not many areas. Probably could have gotten more aggressive but wanted to see how it looks later. Got all the way around the boat with that step and made a huge improvement! Tried just the back rear corner with the second step (finesse it II with lake country orange pad).

It was cold (40deg) when I got to the polishing (finesse it) step. That could have been the prob but seemed to have trouble working the polish till it shined. Is that supposed to leave a bit of haze that is buffed off with microfiber or should it be worked to a shine with pad?

Appreciate any tips on speeds and how to work with the Finesse-it or similar polishing.

Also-looking to update the hull decals. Thinking the domed chrome type lettering similar to new MCs. Not sure where to find those though.

Pics of before decal removal and before/after buffing the oxidation areas.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X30, but REALLY want the X-14V!!!!
Really nice work! I'll be doing that to my X-30 soon. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 05:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X45 496 crusader
Temp would definitely be an issue, a lot of times even humidity can cause an issue. It's no big deal though, you can always go back over it. Also, don't be afraid to hit it with finesse-it on a clean wool pad befor going back over it with foam. Then use a nice hand wax to finish it off. Good luck,it looks great!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:18 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psgwake View Post
Temp would definitely be an issue, a lot of times even humidity can cause an issue. It's no big deal though, you can always go back over it. Also, don't be afraid to hit it with finesse-it on a clean wool pad befor going back over it with foam. Then use a nice hand wax to finish it off. Good luck,it looks great!

Thanks from the tip! I'll try some with a wool pad too. Now only if the weather would warm up a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-27-2017, 09:47 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X30,2006, MCX
Looking good! You're on the right track. It just takes time and patience. I tend to hit the bad spots first, It can take 3-4 passes of each step (wet sanding & compound/polish) depending on your level of MOCD. Put in the extra time now, because the maintenance work becomes easier down the road.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
You need to use a finer blend wool pad with the finesse-it. Temperature didn't help you either.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X10, 2006,5.7
Great looking boat! I ordered the "new style" domed decals for my X10 today from waterskis.com,midwest mastercraft has them as well. Went with the 34" by 3.5". I'll post some pictures when I'm done. Your boat turned out Great! Here's what mine looks like with the old style MASTERCRAFT logo on the side.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:50 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJohnny View Post
Great looking boat! I ordered the "new style" domed decals for my X10 today from waterskis.com,midwest mastercraft has them as well. Went with the 34" by 3.5". I'll post some pictures when I'm done. Your boat turned out Great! Here's what mine looks like with the old style MASTERCRAFT logo on the side.

Love the color of your X10! Beautiful boat. Yes-please post some pics of the new domed decals when you have them on. Those will look super clean on your boat I'm sure. I've got a few more hours of polishing but in the meantime hope to order the decals to have everything set for spring!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJohnny View Post

Hey CrazyJohnny-did your decals come in? Curious what they look like! Trying to determine what size I want but the 34" you ordered seems like a good size without being too large

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X10, 2006,5.7
Haven't had time to install the graphics on the side, but here is what the back looks like! Once I pull her out of storage I'll get some better pictures.

New Compared to old