Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-30-2016, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X10
Cover mold/mildew

Hey guys, I am hoping you can help me out. My 2014 X10 has been covered with the factory under tower cover in a climate controlled storage building since October. The boat was cleaned with 303 and put up dry. I had three Damp rid containers inside the boat. Now I have a bunch of white mold or mildew on the underside of my cover. I have never treated the cover with anything. The seats still look good, I only found a couple of tiny specks on them. I do not want to have the cover contaminate the boat. What is the best way to clean the cover of this mold/mildew? How do I prevent it from coming back in the future? Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong to get it to start with?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  148.8 KB
Old 01-31-2016, 08:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Come on guys, someone has ran into this same issue. Help me out please.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft X-Star
I'd bet the Damp Rid absorbed the initial moisture in the boat and then formed a liquid brine solution in the container, which then started to evaporate inside the boat and condense on the inside of the cover. That may be salt you are seeing on the cover. Just a wild guess though.

Last edited by T-bone; 01-31-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

The salt should theoretically stay behind in the container when the brine water evaporates, but it sure does look like salt on the cover.

Last edited by T-bone; 01-31-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone View Post
I'd bet the Damp Rid absorbed the initial moisture in the boat and then formed a liquid brine solution in the container, which then started to evaporate inside the boat and condense on the inside of the cover. That may be salt you are seeing on the cover. Just a wild guess though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone View Post
The salt should theoretically stay behind in the container when the brine water evaporates, but it sure does look like salt on the cover.
Ironically, one of the damp rid containers did have an inch of liquid in it. I have used damp rid for probably 8 years. I've never had a container do that. Normally the moisture is all absorbed by the damp rid crystals.

Any thoughts on cleaning the inside of the cover? Ever seen damp rid do this?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

I have used it before and in the spring had one container that had just a bit of solution in it. The second container was full of solution to the top. No crystals left in either and no real salt residue on the sides of either container as you would expect if all that calcium chloride dissolved and then the water started to evaporate. So the salt went somewhere. I didn't have any staining on the cover. I'd try a wet towel and wipe it off or rinse the cover if you can. See how that works before doing anything else.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
recommendations per Sunbrella,
"Sunbrella fabric should be cleaned regularly before substances such as dirt, roof particles, etc. are allowed to accumulate on and become embedded in the fabric. Brush off dirt, etc. and hose down with a mild solution of natural soap such as Lux or Ivory in lukewarm water (no more than 100 degrees F). Rinse thoroughly to remove soap. DO NOT USE DETERGENTS.

For more stubborn cases: Soak the fabric for 20 minutes in a solution of no more than 1/2 cup (4 oz.) Clorox and 1/4 cup (2 oz.) Ivory or Lux soap per gallon of water at approximately 100 degrees F. Rinse thoroughly in cold water to remove all of the soap. This may remove part of the water repellency and the fabric should receive an application of an air-curing fluorocarbon water repellent treatment if water repellency is a factor."

I have used ivory dish soap on a really bad mold stained cover, then treated it for water resistance.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X2 5.7 Pro and Surf
When I lived in Pennsyvania we would store our boats in the coal mines. Mines stayed 50 degrees all the time no freezing. Mold and moisture would be a big issue but solved it by crushing plain charcoal brickets up in a paper bag with a hammer and placing it in the boat in several places on lids from cardboard boxes. The more we used the more moisture they would keep absorbed. Think of the charcoal filters used in newer refrigerators to remove odors. Works really well. P.S. Do NOT use charcoal with the match lite feature it contains petroleum products.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:21 AM
MC Devotee

I've cleaned mine with oxy clean in a 33 gallon trash can and used a boat oar to move around over two days. Lay out and rinse fill can back up with water and soak for another day. Then retreat with 303 repellant.