Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 mastercraft x30
looking for new speakers

hey guys, i am looking for two new speakers in my boat and two new tower speakers. i am looking to spend no more than 500 dollars. i am looking at the cheaper wetsounds for 159 a pair, or the exile for 180 a pair. what are your suggestions? also can i buy in boat speakers and put them in my existing tower cans, or do i have to buy special tower speakers? open to other suggestions for speakers also.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:36 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
bump for you. I have Polk DB speakers in the cabin and love them. If you want wetsounds, it may be best to spend the money on those in the tower cans and go a little more reasonable in the cabin.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Echo Texas skiers Reccomendation! I updated my clarions to polkDb651s this week and they rock! Unbelievable how much more bass and no distortion even at levels that will make your ears bleed. These are hands down the best deal around and only $60/ pair to boot.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
The exiles sound really good. You may be able to get them a little cheaper if you are ordering more than one pair. You really can't go wrong with wetounds either.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
I too would like to upgrade my speakers. Are the Polk's TT's consensus favorite for cabin replacements? Also, what amp would you suggest to power these? Lastly, are the slim mounted ones the only way to go for a marine install? Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
I too would like to upgrade my speakers. Are the Polk's TT's consensus favorite for cabin replacements? Also, what amp would you suggest to power these? Lastly, are the slim mounted ones the only way to go for a marine install? Thanks
I wouldn't say, consensus. (Kinda like, blondes or brunettes.)

The DB651s (coaxial) offer probably, biggest bang for the buck. You can get them for under $100.00, quite easily. If you have the room, go standard chassis. Slim mounts make trade-offs, especially with coaxials. This is were a good quality clean amp, would help.

I installed Polk MM651um, picked them up on sale.(Would not call these slim, but not super deep.) These have separate voice coils. i.e.- two speakers in one chassis. Extremely clean response, even with a modest amp. I'm still using my Clarion head unit amp, on mine. Groups like: Yes, EmersonLakePalmer, SteeleyDan,Blues/Jazz, classic rock, accoustical are amazing. Absolutely night-day, difference to oem marine speakers.

What are you going to use, the system for. As you can see, mind are used mainly for chillin' in a cove. I'm not the guy going down the lake, with stereo blasting. I have friends, for that.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Another +1 for the polk DB series. Pricepoint, sound, quality, and aesthetics are all great. Hard speaker to beat when it comes to bang for buck. I used a pair of the 6.5" component's, and a pair of the 5.25" coaxials in my boat.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-9
I went with the Infinity Reference 612M's. Installing them this weekend, so I cannot comment on the sound, however I don't think you can go wrong with Polk or Infinity in the cabin. For the Amp I have a JL 6 channel powering both the cabin and the tower. Kenwood Mono for the sub.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Certainly the Polk Audio dBs are a major player in the sub-$100 a pair coaxial category. But there is another level above that grade of speaker that makes a huge audible difference, especially when you add an external amplifier. Here is what you get with a Wetsounds or JL Audio marine coaxial as compared to most speaker products in the $100 range:
Rather than an interrupted midbass cone from a tweeter supporting pole piece you get a bridge/grill mounted tweeter and a continuous midbass cone. This results in more surface area and much better midbass performance. 50 percent of all musical fundamentals fall between 200 and 600 Hz and this is the sole domain of the midbass driver.
You might find a 'W'-dome tweeter in a less expensive coaxial with a much higher resonance and a more erratic response. A better speaker will transition to a true dome tweeter that has a much larger VC, lower resonance, is better damped and has a profoundly smoother response that impacts vocals, particularly female vocals.
From a stamped steel basket to a polymer basket.
Oftentimes going from a single pole highpass crossover to a two pole crossover. Steeper slope. More tweeter protection. less overlap. Smoother response.
A synthetic spider versus a linen spider. A linen spider will degrade in several seasons in a marine environment.
Your coaxials reproduce 7 of 8.5 octaves that are easily audible in a boat. This is where all the contrast and clarity comes from. These speakers determine the bass tonal construction and the bass pitch accuracy.
It escapes me why many choose this as the area to compromise. To my ears these are the most important audio components in the boat worthy of the largest investment.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 mastercraft x30
Thanks for all the recommendations. I am aware that the Polk DB's are good for the money, but my friend has those in his boat and after one summer of being put in, they have blown already. I am looking for speakers in the tower for surfing mostly

Tags
audio, speakers, tower