Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-2; 320 Ilmor
Send a message via Skype™ to RustyMC
My dad sold boats out of Knoxville for many years and you would be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at the number of people coming in to trade their 'well running' boats with JB holding together the block. People give dealers a bad rap but don't underestimate the crooked nature of John Q. Public
Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 190, LT1 w/ Powerslot
I have used JB Weld on a friends oil pan that had about a 2" crack or so in a car before. It held up for 2 years and about 20k miles with no issues. That was cheap cast aluminum and it held up very well, never leaked.

However, I wouldn't have done that to an engine block. I would pull the motor and either have it professionally welded and then pressure tested/rebuilt, or find a "junkyard" motor to put in its place.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 03 Prostar 197, 310 HP Predator w/ Powerslot
I'm so thankful for all the replies and great advice please keep it coming. This is a new purchase and just discovered the engine crack. It appears the previous owner has attempted some type of patch. I have no idea what the material is but I began scraping it off with flat head screwdriver and it flakes like gasket type material. I've posted some photos at

mailto:Prostarski.66496@uploads.photobucket.com

I still haven't figured out how to post them here as all of my posting is done from my iPhone. The boat is 96 Prostar 190 with LT1 and powerslot trans. I'm thinking about peeling off all the attempted patchwork and see what's under there. Then possibly patching with JB Weld and get it out on the water to see if the transmission is in good shape. The engine runs now and as far as I can tell there's no water in the oil. My major concern is if I do continue to run this engine I may do more damage to other parts of the engine. Should I just go find an engine block and build it with the parts of my current engine and not run it at all? What block will work in place of chevy 350 LT1? Please advise. Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 03 Prostar 197, 310 HP Predator w/ Powerslot
Sorry, this is the address of posted photos.

http://m1257.photobucket.com/albumvi...6.jpg.html?o=0
Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
It's May, it's time to be skiing not wrenching. I'd say give the JB a shot and hit the water. Watch the engine, keep an eye on the repair, and plan on fixing it correctly come October. Of course, if it's holding fine and there aren't any issues, push it back to the next October...

If you've got an external crack in the block, you may have internal ones also. Keep an eye on the oil condition - if it starts getting milky, you've got a choice to make. You can continue to run it, changing oil when you see a need, and plan on replacing the engine this winter, or you can stop, tear it down, and have a chance of saving what you have. If you've got multiple cracks, you may not end up having much choice anyway.

I had a friend who fixed a hole in the crankcase of his motorcycle with some silicone rubber, I wouldn't have imagined that it would hold up long-term to the hot oil circulating over it, but 5 years later it was still holding strong.

Good luck, and good skiing.

/frank
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
If there is any water getting into the oil, you will know right away as it gets very milky.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-24-2012, 02:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyMC View Post
My dad sold boats out of Knoxville for many years and you would be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at the number of people coming in to trade their 'well running' boats with JB holding together the block. People give dealers a bad rap but don't underestimate the crooked nature of John Q. Public
Those who deal with the public know no bounds of the dishonesty that takes place.......
Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostarski190 View Post
. Should I just go find an engine block and build it with the parts of my current engine and not run it at all? Please advise. Thanks
Sell the boat and stop trying to post pictures.... You bought someone else's problem and you're stuck with fixing it. .... dammit boy

Unless you have it all MTed and /or PTed to seek out other damage, I'd abort any idea of anything less than a new or proven-tested rebuild. If there is one issue, there are more.... Been all down that road. I'd never have touched that boat with a 10 foot pole from looking at the initial pictures that you posted. Not dissing you or your choice but damn... Ray Charles could have seen this coming.....and then you ask about a half-way (a$$ed) fix with JB Weld.... you're kEElin' me....try silicone....

Reality.... $0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 05-24-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
@cloaked:

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel.

Feel sick for the OP, that just looks like a money pit.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-2; 320 Ilmor
Send a message via Skype™ to RustyMC
@cloaked:

I guess we all know how you would respond when someone asks if "does this make my a$$ big?"

Tags
350, block, cracked, engine, lt1