Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 03 Prostar 197, 310 HP Predator w/ Powerslot
Cracked engine block

Has anyone ever used JB Weld or Marine-Tex on an exterior engine block crack? If so did it work, what was your experience, and would you recommend either or?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostarski190 View Post
Has anyone ever used JB Weld or Marine-Tex on an exterior engine block crack? If so did it work, what was your experience, and would you recommend either or?
Useless and worthless and should be outlawed. Some love it... It's a joke and not even a temp fix.

Yea yea... "It worked for me like a champ... bla bla..." .....................If you've never seen a JB repair fail at your expense, you'll keep going back to it until you do. Did I mention useless? Consider radiator leak stop too... Just throwing out an opinion based on experience... Also try Dry-Lok for your basement CMU wall..... I kid.. Useless too...

Fix it right. Sorry to hear about a cracked block but I'd replace it or find a person that understands metallurgy, cohesion of metals , and welding beyond the skills of "burning a rod" or feeding a wire.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
c'mon cloaked...don't hold back... just sayin' ^^+1
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 w/Tower
I bought a boat (not Mastercraft) about 12 years ago. After 2 years of very casual use (total of about 4 weeks a year) the engine failed. The mechanic that replaced it said the block had Jb Weld on it covering a crack.

So I agree with Cloaked, fix it right the first time. The JB Weld might hold up for a little while (or it might not).
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
My brother in law used it on a Merc 305 I/O for a few years. Kept having to reapply it until he rebuilt it.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
yes the crack can be welded and fixed, the cost will largely be associated with how much work you put in it, the welder won't do it in the boat, if you find a welder that says he can do it in the boat you need to find another guy to do it as this guy doesn't know what he's doing, the repaired area needs to be heated before the welding begins, and the engine will need to be taken apart so you'll either have to pay him to prep it or you remove and prep it yourself. I personally have had several blocks repaired this way, take it apart and sent it to a race shop.

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 05-23-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
I actually brought a trick ski home this week in order to repair a hole with JB Weld!

Repair a cheap trick ski? Yes.
Repair a cracked block? No.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 03 Prostar 197, 310 HP Predator w/ Powerslot
I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply and offer their opinion. I do value the wealth of knowledge available here. I'm still weighing my options and gathering information.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
JB Weld

I feel it is complete crap and should never be used but.... that being said.... I aways carry it in the toolbox for emergency repairs.

I did use it on a race engine for a season. As previously stated it is a temporary fix and should never be considered perminent. Also agree it is all in how it is applied. I stripped the paint, degreased, used brake clean (no water in the block), heated the surface and spread it wide around the crack I had....

I have a very good welder contact who can weld cast iron but I didnt want to warp the block or heads mid season. (The process uses a LOT of heat to properly weld and penetrate).

After the season was done it was properly fixed with a weld, block and head were decked and pressure tested. It was an SOB to get off...(the JB). I needed to use an angle grinder to remove it.

Your mileage may vary.
cj
Old 05-24-2012, 09:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
I used it once on a Raptor engine and got stuck in the hills when I lost 90% of my engine oil out the same crack. DO NOT USE THIS ON YOUR ENGINE. There is far too much risk of ruining a great day and leaving you stranded. Sorry to hear about your engine and good luck.

Tags
350, block, cracked, engine, lt1