Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-23-2012, 01:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
wetsounds install and stereo setup in my 07 xstar

Ok guys,
So setup wise, I have an 07 star with 4 stock tower speakers Iím converting. First:
In the process of installing the rev8ís I got, I found that the X-mounting kit from wetsounds (which is extraordinarily expensive IMO) includes screws that are too long (youíll only need to worry about this if youíre installing wetsounds on the stock speaker hubs on ZFT-2, ZFT-3 and ZFT-4), so Iím going to get those screws cut down today. wetsounds is aware of the issue.

Second,
Also found that my stock tower speakers are wired in parallel off the stock JL 2 channel amp. I was going to power the wetsounds with 2 syn-2ís, but Iím second guessing re-wiring the tower. I really wanted to give them a true 200 watts at 4 ohms (which 2 syn2ís would do) but in parallel, 1 syn 2 will do 175 watts to each of the 4 at 2 ohms. Am I going to notice a difference in 25 watts? Would it be worth it?

Finally,
My free air sub has been rattling pretty badly at low volumeÖ fine at higher volume. I found that the M600/6 that I have is running my 6 in boat speakers off 4 channels and bridging the last 2 to the sub. WTH? Anyone know why in the world they would be running 6 speaker with 4 channels? Must have 4 in parallel and 2 getting their own channel, right?
Since Iím pretty sure I have to replace/repair the sub I was thinking about keeping the stock 2 channel that was powering the tower, bridging it to a good free air and just running all 6 in boats with the M6600, each speaker getting its own channel.

Anyone know why itís rattling at low volume? I checked the channel on the amp (it seems fine hooked up to another speaker).

If I did keep the stock 2 channel and used it for the FA sub, used both syn2ís, and the M6600Ö that too big a stereo to run without upgrading the alternator?

SoÖ ideas?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
helppppp
Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
My free air sub has been rattling pretty badly at low volumeÖ fine at higher volume.

SoÖ ideas?
a few! few more batteries, an amp or two and a new sub all wrapped up!

happy father's day!

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Willy - See this site, clears up a lot on audio set ups.

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
Its totally normal to wire the 6 speakers to 4 channels because its a cost cutting method. All the mfg do it. I think your sub has a loose voice coil. I've read a bit of David's post from Earmark Marine and I think he told someone not to long back to look there first.

I set up my system with 2 series 24 deep cycle batteries that are isolated from the starting battery. I have a on board promariner battery tender and I plug in at the dock when I remember to and top off the entire system.

Id gut the FA sub and make it a vent and have a seal or ported box put in the area of the FA. Thats what i did and its AWESOME.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
In my humble opinion, anything you keep from the stock amps is a handicap for your system. The amp's are the most expensive parts of the system and the easiest to pull up short on it terms of what is ultimately the best choice. I have spent double trying to go eco...if I had just thought Ok you know ur going to go big so just do it.

Think about how your going to grow your system and over power.

A 12' sub should have a min of 750w
Tower speakers a min of 400 ea --- I have WS REV 410's
Interior a 100w for each channel
If you go at it like that you will save money and be far happier in the long run. My way is corrected by my past mistakes. Its a journey fo sho
Old 05-25-2012, 10:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachDaddy View Post
Its totally normal to wire the 6 speakers to 4 channels because its a cost cutting method. All the mfg do it. I think your sub has a loose voice coil. I've read a bit of David's post from Earmark Marine and I think he told someone not to long back to look there first.

I set up my system with 2 series 24 deep cycle batteries that are isolated from the starting battery. I have a on board promariner battery tender and I plug in at the dock when I remember to and top off the entire system.

Id gut the FA sub and make it a vent and have a seal or ported box put in the area of the FA. Thats what i did and its AWESOME.
What sub did you put there? Ported I'd guess by box size
Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

My plan is to change the sub box to a ported or a bass reflex box so I can run a single sub and get every drop out of it. I also plan to add a second FA frame to be a second vent in the sub box area.
Anyone have a blown FA sub they want to get rid of?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

It a sealed box with a JL 12w6v2 at 2 ohms. I'm pushing it with a JL HD 750/1 amp. It hammers, stupid hammers. I think a bass reflex would kill if I can find someone to either make it work with the dia of that area.

I have measured a few time, I just not knowledgable enough yet to do something about it.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Sub rattling at low power only? Usually that is an intermittent connection between the braided tinsel lead and the solid conductor voice coil wire. The distortion sound you may hear at lower volumes is the sub actually turning on/off rapidly which tends to get masked at higher excursions. To test, remove the center grill, play the sub at a very low volume and press in slowly, gently on the center of the cone. If the sub goes out completely or stays on consistently that would confirm the above. Sometimes it's repairable. Most of the time it is not.
If the tower speakers are paralleled with a connection that is accessable at the top of the tower by pulling a little bit of the harness through then it is easy to convert from parallel to series at that location. A two-channel amplifier will produce the identical power into 8-ohms bridged as with 4-ohms stereo.
A 25 watt difference is not normally audible at that particular ratio (from 175 to 200). It's a major audible difference from 5 to 30 watts for example. However, one scenario has the continuous power dictated by the power supply limitations so there is little dynamic headroom. It's like when running at redline you don't get any extra boost if you punch it. The other scenario gives you alot of dynamic headroom available that you interpret as additional contrast and clarity.

David
Earmark Marine