Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Tower Speaker Mounts on 08 X-80

Hay Team,

Thanks in advance for the assistance. I tried a search but cant find the right picture or description to answer our question. Does the tower on an 08 X-80 have the 4 round speaker mounts that are commonly found on the other MC towers,? Neither myself nor the owner is close to the boat to confirm.

Also, has any one successfully replaced the small non-LCD driver's remote with a larger LCD remote? The OEM is located just above the trim tab switch and looks like it would be a very close fit to mount the LCD remote there without the top edge being above the level of the combing pad.

Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
I can say with strong confidence that yes, that tower has the mounts on them. MC started doing that kind of speaker mount on their towers beginning with '07 models. I can't imagine they would have the mounts on all other models except the x-80. So be sure to get speakers that have the little mount thingy on them (not the speakers that have the carved out groove.)
Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Thanks JDL, that confirmed what I needed to know.

In regards to the driver's remote, anything larger then the OEM Clarion CMRC2 will not fit above the trim tab switches. We ended up relocating the trim switches to just below and slightly forward of the throttle controls. The cable for the trim switch was long enough after cutting one wire-tie under the helm. This left one small round and one square hole. We fab'd a new bezal out of 1/16" ABS that holds the new Alpine remote and covers the original holes. It will be covered with gray marine vinyl.

Will have pics next week if anyone is interested.