Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 prostar 205
1994 Prostar 205 audio upgrade issues...

Hello guys, I have a 1994 Prostar 205. And the audio components I have right now are, alpne head unit, 4 polk DB 6.5s and running a pyramid 400 watt amp. Everything sounds good, but when I turn up the volume past 18 or so the radio will turn off. The fuse will pop and I will have to pop the fuse back then it will turn back on. I am running the amp of ACC 1 but I will be running the amp and ground off the battery when I get around to changing it. Should I run the head unit straight to the battery also? If I run the amp and headunit to the battery will it take power from the battery when the boat is off and the key is out? I will be adding a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer powered with 400-600 watts or so behind the drivers seat. I am just trying to figure out this power problem...
Old 05-20-2012, 10:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker47 View Post
Hello guys, I have a 1994 Prostar 205. And the audio components I have right now are, alpne head unit, 4 polk DB 6.5s and running a pyramid 400 watt amp. Everything sounds good, but when I turn up the volume past 18 or so the radio will turn off. The fuse will pop and I will have to pop the fuse back then it will turn back on. I am running the amp of ACC 1 but I will be running the amp and ground off the battery when I get around to changing it. Should I run the head unit straight to the battery also? If I run the amp and headunit to the battery will it take power from the battery when the boat is off and the key is out? I will be adding a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer powered with 400-600 watts or so behind the drivers seat. I am just trying to figure out this power problem...
I have a similar problem when I turn up my Sony Radio volume past 22. The radio cuts out. It also may be only when my iPhone is hooked up.... The radio and amps are all hooked up to the second battery and I used to think the battery was getting low and not pushing enough power. However, I charged the battery last night to full and it still did it first thins this morning. So now I am really wondering.... Any ideas from anyone?? Shocker47 and I are feeling the same pain...

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker47 View Post
Make sure your power cables are all the same gauge. Don't mix 12 and 10 gauge for example.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 x-10 mcx
Not sure exactly how you are wired, but if you're blowing the fuse under higher loads, you are most likely overloading that circuit. Go with large, fused amp power cables directly from the battery as others have suggested and save yourself some pain with ground loop issues and run the head unit ground to the same one used by the amp. Would only use the acc 1 or ignition switch for your amp and head unit turn on lead versus power lead. No way it can handle the load from the main power lead, and if you try and up fuse amperage to avoid blowing them, you risk anything from melted wiring to a fire.

Last edited by 93ProStar205; 05-21-2012 at 12:55 AM.