Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramerman@gmail.com View Post
I have a 2010 reliable trailer that this same issue.

Added a ground to the reverse lock out--no fix

Found the rotors were warped. Fixed. Still machine gun.

Being told it is likely a week damper---reliable out of business (or part not available). Need to replace entire swing arm with UFP = $1200.00

Is this the route to go?
I just went through replacing my reliable swing away tongue with a UFP part. Waymires was the route I took... they have a direct replacement that literally is just a direct swap. You'll need to unhook the brake line, unbolt the swing away bolt, pull the pin, pull off the old reliable POS actuator, and bolt on the new UFP actuator, reconnect the brake lines, bleed the brakes, and voila... done.

Cost me $422 shipped to my door, and I bled them myself. Pretty straight forward job, just make sure you have a breaker bar for that bolt that holds the tongue on. Use PB blaster a few days in advance to start the penetration and you should be good.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
I am not sure that comment was directed towards me. I tow my trailer an average of 4 - 500 miles a month (maybe more).
Nope, it was to the OP. Which is the only post I read completely and didn't realize topics had changed.

Sorry

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Great comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I just went through replacing my reliable swing away tongue with a UFP part. Waymires was the route I took... they have a direct replacement that literally is just a direct swap. You'll need to unhook the brake line, unbolt the swing away bolt, pull the pin, pull off the old reliable POS actuator, and bolt on the new UFP actuator, reconnect the brake lines, bleed the brakes, and voila... done.

Cost me $422 shipped to my door, and I bled them myself. Pretty straight forward job, just make sure you have a breaker bar for that bolt that holds the tongue on. Use PB blaster a few days in advance to start the penetration and you should be good.
Awesome advice. What is "PB blaster?" What penetration should I be concerned with?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:23 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post

Update. Ordered the actuator for Waymires today. Will arrive next week. I will take photos and post through installation.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Awesome advice. What is "PB blaster?" What penetration should I be concerned with?
PB blaster is a penetrating oil that will help if the loosen bolt that holds your tongue to the trailer if it has any rust on it. If your swing away tongue swings without much resistance, you're probably good and won't need any. If you keep your trailer outside, it will help you out.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Thought my trailer brake "machine gunning" issue went away - but after working on my trailer for a few seasons U have found -

#1 - if tongue of trailer not level especially if ball to high - actuator will tend to chatter...
#2 - out of round drums actuator will chatter
#3 - if heading down a steep hill - trailer will chatter - found out yesterday on this one when heading south on rt. 53 in Duluth... no chatter on 1600 round trip until this huge down hill stretch. No chatter after this stretch.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:56 PM
TT Regular

New UFP Actuator

Bye bye Reliable! New Actuator arrived. Off to paint shop this week to get the sleeve paint matched. More photos will follow.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2013, 05:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Bye bye Reliable! New Actuator arrived. Off to paint shop this week to get the sleeve paint matched. More photos will follow.
If you're doing the work yourself (other than painting), I'd love to see you document what you had to do. I've had problems with my Reliable master cylinder so I know its just a matter of time before I have to do a tongue-ectomy myself. Unfortunately I have the mechanical experience of your average 8 yr old...

I had my dealer do the tongue on my last trailer when it went bad, but this was before the waymire option was available and it required a custom job. The only downside I found, and hopefully this waymire version corrects for it, was the Reliable setup was a couple inches shorter in overall length, so the safety cables were a bit tighter than I would have liked - not enough to warrant replacing them with longer ones, but enough to annoy me.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:43 PM
TT Regular

Tongue-ectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
If you're doing the work yourself (other than painting), I'd love to see you document what you had to do. I've had problems with my Reliable master cylinder so I know its just a matter of time before I have to do a tongue-ectomy myself. Unfortunately I have the mechanical experience of your average 8 yr old...

I had my dealer do the tongue on my last trailer when it went bad, but this was before the waymire option was available and it required a custom job. The only downside I found, and hopefully this waymire version corrects for it, was the Reliable setup was a couple inches shorter in overall length, so the safety cables were a bit tighter than I would have liked - not enough to warrant replacing them with longer ones, but enough to annoy me.
"Tongue-ectomy." That is very funny.

Happy to help however I can. I have some mechanical experience---lets put this at an average 10year old, which is probably why I am so confident I can resolve this myself.

So far, the removal was easy. The brake line itself screws out of the actuator. There are only two wires: blue, which I presume is the reverse lock-out and white ground.

Will be uploading photos as I install. Picking up the actuator sleeve from the paint shop today.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Meristar 215
@mramerman Pictures man, pictures!