Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand2snow22 View Post
You don't need brakes You don't have to tow too far I recently towed a 2005 Super Air without trailer brakes. Probably only weighs 4,300lbs with the trailer. The trailer has brakes, but they are drum and they don't work. It is a P.O.S. trailer. Tundra did pretty well, except when I had to stop quickly at a red light. The boat was really pushing against the truck. I could smell hot brakes. Makes me wonder about those Tundra commercials?
I had the same thing happen in my F150... no hot brakes. The rest of the truck, tranny and engine have issues but the brakes seemed pretty good.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Any idea what it takes to replace a Reliable actuator with a UFP? I heard you have to do some modifications to either the actuator or the tongue as the bolt and cutout patterns are different. We can't get parts for the Reliable.

Even though I've already had the master cylinder and shock replaced, I'm still having the problem. The dealer is convinced I need to replace all the calipers, but to me the problem sounds more like the actuator mechanism. I'm thinking either the master cylinder or shock, even though new, are defective. I know four new calipers are going to cost $1000-$1200, so if I can replace the actuator mechanism for much cheaper I may try that. My dealer and I don't agree on the next step. He is convinced the problem is the water in the master cylinder rusted the internal mechanisms of the calipers so they don't work correctly. I hate replacing parts I don't know are bad just because I've already replaced everything else.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
Any idea what it takes to replace a Reliable actuator with a UFP? I heard you have to do some modifications to either the actuator or the tongue as the bolt and cutout patterns are different. We can't get parts for the Reliable.
I'm in the process of doing this right now. I bought a UFP A-60 actuator and the weld on outer sleeve. I've got a swing away tongue so I took the old tongue to the machine shop so the can cut the top and bottom pieces off the old swing away tongue and weld them on to the new outer UFP sleeve. The pins that hold the Reliable actuator in the sleeve are not the same as the UFP. You might be able to drill some holes, but the UFP actuator was longer that the Reliable so this may or may not work. I've got to stop by the machine shop tonight to see if he's gotten to my project yet.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Is Reliable out of business or are you just upgrading?

I've always liked the UFP products.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Is Reliable out of business or are you just upgrading?
Reliable is still in business, but there are no parts available for their actuators or mastercylinders. I talked to some one at Reliable that told me Mastercraft may still have some old stock available. Mastercraft said they were out of parts, but would build a new swing away tongue for $800. I think Mastercraft is using the UFP brake actuators on their trailers now. I figured I could fix it for a lot less-the UFP actuator and sleeve was $181 which leaves me a lot of money to spend at the machine shop.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
the chattering or machine gunning sound can be also caused by warped rotors and warped drums...when mine chattered -- they never did it after I pulled the boat out. Hot rotors and cool water....just like blowin thru a puddle with your car after some hard breaking...
Old 07-31-2013, 04:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Machine Gun x2

I have a 2010 reliable trailer that this same issue.

Added a ground to the reverse lock out--no fix

Found the rotors were warped. Fixed. Still machine gun.

Being told it is likely a week damper---reliable out of business (or part not available). Need to replace entire swing arm with UFP = $1200.00

Is this the route to go?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
You can get a whole new reliable setup from waymires for$450. That includes a new outer sleeve and new master cylinder/actuator
Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Sorry to chime in after 4 pages but I didn't see anything to suggest just using the trailer for a bit first.

Just at the beginning of this season I had all the brakes and lines etc etc replaced new. I hardly ever use my trailer. When I do the brakes machine gun for a while. After about 20 stops it goes away.

You may only be experiencing this because you don't use your trailer like you said twice a year for 20 miles.

Just a thought

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Sorry to chime in after 4 pages but I didn't see anything to suggest just using the trailer for a bit first.

Just at the beginning of this season I had all the brakes and lines etc etc replaced new. I hardly ever use my trailer. When I do the brakes machine gun for a while. After about 20 stops it goes away.

You may only be experiencing this because you don't use your trailer like you said twice a year for 20 miles.

Just a thought

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
I am not sure that comment was directed towards me. I tow my trailer an average of 4 - 500 miles a month (maybe more).