Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 SportStar
stereo remote

Dash mounted stereo remote suddenly stopped working. I've check wiring and fuses, any other ideas? If I need to replace has anyone done this and where could I find one? Thanks!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:17 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Might help if you said what stereo model what remote and so on.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
yep shoot some info. If its a clarion 2" or whatever they are I have one sitting in the garage I'll sell you dirty cheap
Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM
TT Regular

Pretty sure it's a Clarion but I'll confirm this weekend when I'm at the lake. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
I just replaced my 9 year old head unit which required a new remote and remote wire. From the back of the head unit (if on the passenger side) the cord should go over towards the outside hull and up high under the deck. It should run through some PVC pipe that will be glassed to the deck. It will run up to the bow and around to the dash. You should be able to tape the new cord to the old one and use the old one as a fisch. You will need to pull the speakers to reach and pull the cord around. Also the front and side bow cushions. Over all you should be able to gain access under the dashes and through holes. Biggest obstacle for me was removing the side panel the remote was attached to. I ended up busting up some bolt attachments trying to get behind the panel. The plastic broke around the bolts. Could not find away to loossen and remove them. Had to use a torx driver on the outside and a wrench on the back side. Could not gain access of the back side. Your hands will be full of fiberglass when done.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 AM
TT Regular

Sounds like a ton of fun! Overall how many hours invested in this little project?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
Sounds like a ton of fun! Overall how many hours invested in this little project?
Depends. Not sure what boat you have. You can get to mine from the back with tiny fingers and prayers. Most of the time you have to remove or loosen the side panel. The remote is held in by a bracket and 2 small nuts. You can lay down with your head under the dash and try to get your hand behind it. If not plan on removing the side panel which is a pita. Be very careful with the side panel holes. They will rip. if you do rip them put some finish washers over top and it looks pretty good. other than that yea its a pain. you could just be lazy and put one in the cupholder but I think thats pretty boojey.

BTW you don't have to replace the wiring like azx9 did unless you get a different pin remote than what is in the boat. The remote has a plug that is like 3" long so its right there by the remote.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat is '99 SportStar open-bow. I climbed up under the dash this weekend and the remote is indeed remote. Couldn't get my hands on it! It is a Clarion stereo system and remote. I was reading that there is a fuse or fuses on the back of the main stereo unit? Could it be that? I'll attempt to check that out next. Perhaps just live with it until I can have dealer look at it?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrhodes View Post
Boat is '99 SportStar open-bow. I climbed up under the dash this weekend and the remote is indeed remote. Couldn't get my hands on it! It is a Clarion stereo system and remote. I was reading that there is a fuse or fuses on the back of the main stereo unit? Could it be that? I'll attempt to check that out next. Perhaps just live with it until I can have dealer look at it?
When you say "remote" do you mean wireless. Is it possible it has a battery?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 AM
TT Regular

I don't think it's wireless.