Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 X-15
Water strainer problems

I have been having a problem with my water strainer not picking up water when i start the boat. Ever since i unwinterized the boat if it is not attached to a hose i have to manually put water into the strainer to get a prime for it to take in water to cool the engine. The boat is a 2011 X15, I have talked to the dealership and have gotten a new o-ring and tried that still dosent suck water, when i take the boat out of the water the strainer drains . To me the strainer is located a little high it the starbord locker and when you put it into the water the raw water pump has to suck a good bit to get any water. Has anyone moved their strainer lower in the boat or has any other fix for this problem? I have thought about trying to lubricate the o-ring with a silicon lubricant but dont know if this will help.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM
TT Regular

wow no one is havign the same problem

i figure at least some one else would have an idea or the same problem
Old 05-16-2012, 02:25 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
What did you use to seal the o-ring? You might try a little silicone lubricant. You are not getting a vacuum in there.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:20 PM
TT Regular

I have tried sea and sea silicon lubricant on the o ring and have now changed to a new strainer that the dealership gave me and lubricated that oring still not getting a good vac. I have checked for cracks in both hoses going to the strainer but didn't notice any cracks or holes. Those are the likely problems that I could think of but I haven't been able to get a good vac. Could the replacing the impeller fix the problem? The impeller was replaced when I had the boat winterized ant the 50 hour service completed and only has about 15 hours on it
Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
I would at least check the impeller and make sure it has not been compromised.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I have read about this issue with the sea strainer on other forums...still debating putting it on my boat - illinois river pretty muddy and light junk in the water after a good storm...now I check my intake right at tranny cooler before each trip...
Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryfly161 View Post
I have been having a problem with my water strainer not picking up water when i start the boat. Ever since i unwinterized the boat if it is not attached to a hose i have to manually put water into the strainer to get a prime for it to take in water to cool the engine. The boat is a 2011 X15, I have talked to the dealership and have gotten a new o-ring and tried that still dosent suck water, when i take the boat out of the water the strainer drains . To me the strainer is located a little high it the starbord locker and when you put it into the water the raw water pump has to suck a good bit to get any water. Has anyone moved their strainer lower in the boat or has any other fix for this problem? I have thought about trying to lubricate the o-ring with a silicon lubricant but dont know if this will help.
I just installed a sea strainer on my 205 and don't have any issues. It seems to me it shouldn't matter where is located as its a continuous seal. Are you getting leakage? The impeller suckage (new word) is pretty strong.

Temp at idle still good? Did you check for any blockage around the intake? Maybe backflush with a hose?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Make sure the gasket is on your raw water pump and the hoses are snug.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:09 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
Make sure the gasket is on your raw water pump and the hoses are snug.
Yes. If you have a new sea strainer and the gasket is lubed, check every hose clamp and hose all the way to the water pump and forward. Also, check the screen on the transmission cooler. When was the last time you replaced the impeller?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM
TT Regular

spOOKY i am not getting any leakeage from the strainer, but in order to get water into it i have to take a 32 oz gatoraid bottle and fill the strainer prior to starting the boat other wise it will not draw water in. I have taken the boat out about 6 times since i first ran it on the fake o lake, each time i have had to put water into the strainer to get water started flowing. I have replaced the strainer with a new one provided by the dealership, checked the tightness of all of the hoses and hose clamps to and from the strainer. When i get water flowing the temperatures level out between 150 and 165
East TX good call on the transmission strainer, the impeller was changed out by the dealer when we winterized the boat and has about 15 hours on it. Friday is my day off so i think i am going to pull the impeller and check the transmission strainer. because other than that i have no other clue what would be causing it to lose suction.

Is the strainer supose to drain when the boat is taken out of the water? When we bought the boat last year i didnt pay attention to the strainer we just put it in the water and started it and the temperature maintained so i never checked.