Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X-9
New Stereo and Speaker System

I own a 2001 X-9 and I'm looking to purchase a new stereo and tower speakers. The boat was outfitted with a clarion system. The speakers on the tower were pretty small and riders could never really hear the music. I'm looking to upgrade the stereo and the tower speakers and looking for suggestions.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
You might consider replacing the stock clarion speakers with something that will dramatically improve the sound. After lots of reading, I just bought Polk db651's to replace the stock coax speaker on my 2001 205v and ordered a mm1040dvc sub to fill the stock sub location ( it didn't have one). Writups say this is one of the best improvement in sound for the money and speakers compete effectively with other costing twice as much.

Ross
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
What's your budget? There's lots of options with tower speakers, but some are a lot of money. Are you looking to replace just the speaker itself, or are you looking for new cans and everything?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X-9
New cans, speakers and stereo. $2,000-$3,000.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
I'd recommend going big on the tower speakers and being a little more conservative with the cabin speakers. Polk, JL, and MTX are all reasonably priced for their performance. I stay away from sony as much as possible. Wetsounds for the tower can really set you back but they are horn speakers and are designed to project sound further. There is a reason you see so many of these things on the lake. Using cans and regular woofers on the tower will work but you're gonna get what you pay for there.. If you have a nice amp get component speakers, clearer sound and i think they look better having the tweeter separate from the woofer.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
I'm very pleased with my Kicker/Alpine system!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=41450