Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 190 prostar
Roswell 4 channel AMP

I have a PS 190 and the installer is coming out to do an install. I have a Roswell 4 channel 500 watt amp.

Questions: Can I run two r6 tower speakers on 2 of the channels and then Run the 10 inch sub woofer on one of the channels and then run all 4 of the inside speakers from the last channel.

I know I will lose the Balance and Fade that is not a concern if I can get a little cleaner sound out of my smaller speakers that are in the boat???

thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 11:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
If it was me, I'd get another 2 channel amp. Wire the sub bridged between two channels on your Roswell amp, and run all 4 interior speaekrs on the other two channels, then get another 2 channel amp and bridge the tower speakers to that amp.

Running 4 speakers on 1 channel will create a ton of resistance and you'll really cut into the power delivery to each speaker.

To make it sound best with what you have, bridge the two tower speakers between channel 1 and 2, and use channels 3 and 4 to bridge the sub. Run the high pass filter on channels 1 and 2, and run the low pass filter on channels 3/4. Keep all the interior speakers hooked up to the head unit, and also run any sort of built in equilizer to not allow anything less than 80hz to the interior speakers. This will help reduce distortion while running those speakers from your head unit and let them get louder. The sub will help take care of the low's that you'll be missing from the interior speakers.

Don't try to hook all of that up to a single amp though...

Last edited by mzimme; 05-15-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the comment

I am also having a problem with my radio turning off when I turn it up. From reading other threads they say that I need to have better voltage going to the radio. I was wondering since the amp must be turned on manually could I run the power from the amp to the radio and just turn the radio on when I turn the amp on?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
The amp shouldn't need to be turned on manually. There will be a blue "remote" wire coming out of the rear of your head unit, and that wire is a signal wire that runs to the amplifier's "remote" terminal. Whenever your head unit turns on, the amp should automatically power up due to the head unit sending a signal through the remote wire to your amp.

Do not run a power wire from your amplifier to your head unit. The 12v supply your head unit is hooked up to currently should provide plenty of power to keep the thing on. If it's cutting out, I'd suspect you have other issues somewhere. If anything, run a separate power wire from your head unit to your battery (with an in line fuse), but don't connect that wire to your amps (+) terminal.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

thanks

I think I will run a wire with an inline fuse as you suggested. The installer is coming out Thursday I will keep you posted. I hope he is as informed as you
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Can I mount the amp to the sub woofer box? or is that too much vibration?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis23 View Post
I have a PS 190 and the installer is coming out to do an install. I have a Roswell 4 channel 500 watt amp.

Questions: Can I run two r6 tower speakers on 2 of the channels and then Run the 10 inch sub woofer on one of the channels and then run all 4 of the inside speakers from the last channel.

I know I will lose the Balance and Fade that is not a concern if I can get a little cleaner sound out of my smaller speakers that are in the boat???

thanks
No- that would be a bad system design. This is a stereo amp and your head unit is stereo. Use the amp and head unit in the way they were designed and don't cheap out on amplification. You'll like the system more and teh speakers won't die prematurely, assuming everything is installed & set up correctly.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
thanks

I think I will run a wire with an inline fuse as you suggested. The installer is coming out Thursday I will keep you posted. I hope he is as informed as you
The blue wire shouldn't need a fuse. If it shorts to ground, the head unit's circuit will probably just shut down because it can't drive enough current to cause a problem. If it shorts to +, the head unit will be damaged, whether it's fused. or not.

What gauge is the power cable? The photos show what looks like 4ga, or larger. This is critical- it needs to be adequate for the amplifier's demand.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Can I mount the amp to the sub woofer box? or is that too much vibration?
If the box is well-made, it shouldn't be a problem. If it's 1/2" material, I wouldn't mount it directly on the box- I would mount a thicker panel on the box before mounting the amp on that panel. Use spacers to get the amp off of the box or whatever it will be mounted on- it will run cooler and live longer.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

great stuff!

thanks