Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-19-2005, 03:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
i-pod adaptor

just had delivered at work the i-pod interface for the clarion xmd head unit(part no.ea1251)...this enables the i-pod to play and be charged thru' the clarion system.......its brand new overhere...

anyone fitted one of these???

looks simple...i hope ...will take pics for the install

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

http://www.prwb.net/tallington/index.php?id=12

nice older x-boat at berth in the advertisment above
Old 08-19-2005, 08:04 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzler
just had delivered at work the i-pod interface for the clarion xmd head unit(part no.ea1251)...this enables the i-pod to play and be charged thru' the clarion system.......its brand new overhere...

anyone fitted one of these???

looks simple...i hope ...will take pics for the install
I know the XMD3 head units and later have separate RCA plugs in the back of the head unit so that anything plugged into it, like an iPod, can be selected as Auxilliary from the source switch. You set the iPod to some middle level volume and then the volume from the boat's speakers is controlled by the head unit. It's a nice feature because the cable to do that costs about $3.00 and it's about a 60-second install. In that event, all the controls such as song selection are still done by the iPod.

The nice thing about the EA1251 is that it makes the head unit think that the iPod is a 6 disc changer and all of the controls normally done by the iPod are done by the head unit. One problem with that is that the EA1251 has to be capable of addressing the software of the particular model iPod being used, and Apple keeps changing that.

I opted to go for the $3.00 cable and connect an iPod that way rather than the $90 EA1251, but no question it's a nice unit.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-9
Anyone have a link to this? (US based). Does it work with XMD-1? Still looking for a good solution....
Old 08-19-2005, 11:20 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltok
Anyone have a link to this? (US based). Does it work with XMD-1? Still looking for a good solution....
http://www.clarion.com.sg/products/2...ipod/index.cfm

I know that the XMD-1 supports a CD changer, and I'm pretty sure is does so using CeNet standards, so, yes, I think it's likely that the EA1251 would allow your XMD-1 head unit to work with at least some iPods (maybe not all).

HERE is a PDF of the EA1251 manual. Check to be sure your particular model and vintage of iPod to be sure it is supported. It lists the iPod software versions supported. That info is found on one of the screens of your iPod.

Note that the Clarion link above mentions two options. The other one is the simple, cheap cable that plugs your iPod into the AUX inputs of your head unit.

Last edited by bigmac; 08-19-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 98 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac

Note that the Clarion link above mentions two options. The other one is the simple, cheap cable that plugs your iPod into the AUX inputs of your head unit.

This is what I do on my pioner deck and it works increadibly well
Old 08-19-2005, 01:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 PS197 LY6
I am almost positive the XMD1 is not compatible with the EA1251. I thought I remeber in my research a few months ago that the XMD1 does not have a CNET connector.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 PS197 LY6
After reading the EA1251 manual I don't think I will buy it. It seems pretty non-user friendly. The head unit can only read 6 playists because it thinks it is reading a CD changer. They have to be named clarion1 through clarion6 which makes it difficult to remember what is what.

I originally planned on installing the EA1251 based on talking to the factory reps, so I bought and XMD3 and remote to install in the boat once the EA1251 came out. Now that I amnot going to buy the EA1251 I have an XMD3 with the CMRC1-SB remote, there is a link below to see the remote, that are for sale. I would sell the XMD3 for a $100 and the remote for a $100 plus shipping. I paid $150 for the deck and $115 for the remote. Send me a PM if you are interested.

CMRC1-SB Remote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '03 X-30, LQ9
I just sent my EA1251 back. I had purchased it for my CMD4. Called Clarion Marine and the guy said don't buy it. The control feature has bugs in it. So, I just ran a monster cable to my aux input. It won't work with a XMD1. The XMD1 is all c-bus. You would have to buy a ceNet to c-bus adapter. Alot of hassle. Get the fm modulator. Monster makes a nice one - have it in my car.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
dif strokes for dif folks.....i set it up and it was so simple.....plug from the head unit to the adapter ,and from the adaptor to the ipod..
i drilled a hole in the cup holder and put the ipod connector in there...the ipod itself is in one of those foam can holders...

by,reading the ipod as a cd changer,yes it will only "read" 6 playlists,but thats more than enough for a day on the water IMO.....

i just renamed my existing playlists e.g. rock,70's,60's pop etc ..as clarion1 ,clarion2 etc........

if we are clever enuff to have bought a MC ,we shud be clever enuff to remember what is on the playlists

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

http://www.prwb.net/tallington/index.php?id=12

nice older x-boat at berth in the advertisment above
Old 09-01-2005, 01:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 197, 2002, 6.0L LQ9
Not to divert the thread, but Bigmac - I have the XMD3 with RCA (input?) plugs on the back.....do those provide provide any type of remote control interface/control too? Or would I need to use the input device controls?