Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you go the Polk route, definitely check out the Polk Audio ebay store. The Master Monitor series subs from Polk in a correctly sized box sound great without having to dump a lot of power into them. I have an 8" MM under the bow that sounds like a 10" sub on moderate power from a 5 channel amp.

In the 205, the kick panel is your best option. But definitely protect the box. Much of it could be under the bow seating and that is by no means water tight.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Thanks to all of you for help /suggestions. Amp seems to be working ok now and changed out the stock clarions to Polk db651's. Was blown away with how much better the polks sound!

Also ordered a Polk mm1040um for under the dash which should arrive this next week. This model is listed as a free air model but wondered if anyone has built a box that fit under the dash as reviews indicate sound will be much better. It looks pretty limited for space so not sure anything would even fit but maybe some folks have come up with something that worked well? Didn't want to build a false front, rather something that will fit closely around the sub. I'll throw some pics up later today when I have the depth gage install finished
Ross
Old 05-20-2012, 05:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Got the sub in today and was surprised that it is hardly noticible. The sub channel of the amp is a solid 190watt @ .07 the but the pok db 6.5s put out more bass. Thinking I must have it miss tuned or the gain is too low??

Getting ready to post some pics

Ross
Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 AM
MC Fanatic

After trying to tune the system to get the sub to deliver some punch, i decided to just add a dedicated subwoofer amp. Did a bunch of research and ended up buying a hifonics brutus 1200D. Tons of great reviews, 1ohm stable @1200 watts with Solid 450 watts @ 0.1 thd running 4 ohms and ce2006 certified so not some overrated power claims that are just a bunch of hogwash. Requires 4 guage wire and 150 amp fuse so definitely sucks some electricity!

Hooked it up today to the freeair sub and WOW!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Keep this in mind.
The Polk sub is used as an infinite baffle by Nautique but it is not a true infinite baffle woofer. There is no such thing as a jack of all trades woofer. A woofer is either great in one application or less than average in various applications. And the Polk is an air suspension woofer according to its Thiele/Small parameters. So that woofer requires a specific enclosure, especially with the power you are running.
A properly executed infinite baffle woofer can sound great by any standard but only up to a certain amplitude. Depending solely on the self damping of just the motor and mechanical suspension is limiting to a certain excursion. Go past that point and it will begin to sound soggy not to mention the woofer becomes vulnerable.
JL Audio makes true infinite baffle woofers that are specifically designed for this application and perform better....but still have an amplitude ceiling less than a corresponding air suspension woofer.

David
Old 08-18-2012, 07:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
Keep this in mind.
The Polk sub is used as an infinite baffle by Nautique but it is not a true infinite baffle woofer. There is no such thing as a jack of all trades woofer. A woofer is either great in one application or less than average in various applications. And the Polk is an air suspension woofer according to its Thiele/Small parameters. So that woofer requires a specific enclosure, especially with the power you are running.
A properly executed infinite baffle woofer can sound great by any standard but only up to a certain amplitude. Depending solely on the self damping of just the motor and mechanical suspension is limiting to a certain excursion. Go past that point and it will begin to sound soggy not to mention the woofer becomes vulnerable.
JL Audio makes true infinite baffle woofers that are specifically designed for this application and perform better....but still have an amplitude ceiling less than a corresponding air suspension woofer.

David

Interesting! So you are saying that free air and infinite baffle are different? Is there a way to tell as the polk spec sheet indicated it was free air so bought this model vs. their less expensive counter part.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Free-air and infinite baffle are the same. I just don't like to use the term "free air" because it leads some to believe that the woofer can be used without an enclosure, which isn't true. While an infinite baffle uses an expansive enclosure (typically 2.25 cu.ft. to infinity for a 10-inch) it still requires total front to rear acoustic isolation for a number of feet away from the woofer location. The Polk is neither free-air nor infinite baffle. The MM1040UM 'Qts' is .45 and the recommended enclosure to have the right system 'Qtc' (woofer loaded in enclosure) is .66 cu.ft. Not even close to infinite baffle. Opinions from non-expert sources may vary but the Theile/Small parameters always tell the real story.

David
Old 05-05-2013, 01:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Thought I'd post an update as to where I'm at on the system:

Got the arc audio 5150xxk running the polk db651s in the cabins. Running at full pass as they seem to fill in the bass well

In order to make room for another amp, I pulled the hifonics 1200 brutus and bought a polk d1000.1 to run the sub and a polk 4000.4 to run the tower speakers (which I had switched to kicker 6500.2 hldc's).

Ended up putting the DVC mm1040 sub back in the boat to get more power out of the amp and more bass. Also fixed the kicker tube and hooked up to the arc audio sub channel. You can definitely hear (and feel) the bass now but still have to run the bass settings on the equalizer almost all the way up.

Once I got it all back together the arc amp didn't work on one of the channels so ordered a polk 5000.5 to replace it. Heard back from arc and they were sure one of the switches on the backplate were likely not fully switched or dirty and just needed to be operated back and forth a few times to get it to work. Did so and now it works fine!

Decided to keep the polk d5000.5 and put into the truck or use as a back up rather than swap out the arc as tired of crawling in and out of the boat!

Last project will be to build a sealed box for the sub to get a little tighter bass then call it a day!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Planned to tackle the sub box this weekend while i have the drivers kick panel out working on the final parts of the ballast install (too many spring projects!). Planned to build the box internal dimensions to .66 cuft per specs and placing behind the panel, puttin the panel in place trace the kickpanel cutout onto the face of the box and pulling apart to cut and reinstall. Anyone have recommendations for a better way or done successfully this way before?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
That sounds like a good plan. I'm going to try to move my 15 under the driver's kickpanel to gain some storage under the observer's seat. My pan is to put the box in and then trace the cutout on the kickpanel as well.