Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
I've heard on this board and met several people personally who don't wear helmets and believe in "the bucket effect", which basically holds that while a helmet may protect you from concussions, it may act like a bucket during a crash and subject the rider to serious neck injuries or even paralysis. I have to admit it sounded feasible, so I started asking around. So far I'm up to seven "professionals" - four orthopedic surgeons, two ER doctors, and a paramedic. I'm 7-0 with unanimous votes for wearing a helmet. In fairness only two of the seven either wakeboard or ski and none have done or heard of any specific research on helmets in watersports - all were basing their opinions only on their own experiences treating head and neck injuries.

I try to require a helmet for everyone behind my boat. My only exceptions are when I don't have a helmet that fits well and when I forget, which is far more often than I care to admit.... possibly because I've gone without a helmet too many times.

I'm sorry I forgot... what was the question?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 X25
I bought a helmet last week, and must say, I won't wakeboard again with out one. It gave me more confidence, and when I did wipe out, there was no head pain. I wasn't worried about blowing an ear drum, or suffering another mild concussion. I strongly recomend a helmet.

Thanks to all who replied
Old 07-17-2012, 11:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
Here is something to think about.......

When you catch your back edge and hit the back of you head to the water, you head is moving much much faster then say your waist or your back. if you are wearing a life jacket that also increases resistance so when you hit the water your body slows down very fast. Not wearing a helmet means your head hits the water with much more speed and less reistance so while the body slows donw, the head keeps going, hench the whiplash effect we have all felt. Wearing a helmet slows you head down also, doing 2 things reducing the chance of a concussion and also reducing the chance of whiplash.

IMO the "bucket effect" is what saves you. Slowing down your head and neck is the reason to wear one. I have had many crashed with and without a helmet and spent time in the hospital after a near drowning and I firmly stand behind my stance that helmets work and help!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007, PS214, MCX 350
I wouldn't be surprised to see helmets become the norm in the near future. I see it as a natural progression for safety sake and to extend your enjoyment of the sport (and your life!!).

I can clearly remember (no pun intended) the days of no helmets on the ski slopes through the '90s. Thanks to the growth of snowboarding and it's insistance on using helmets, it's now a rarety to see anyone on the slopes without a helmet. Especially on the kids and thankfully now skiiers too.

I don't wear one now but have thought about it for years that it might be a good investment. I wear a helmet for snowboarding and biking. Why not for slalom or wakeboard or barefooting???

I think I've made the decision on my next equipment purchase.

Thanks for the push!!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauti-dreamer View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see helmets become the norm in the near future. I see it as a natural progression for safety sake and to extend your enjoyment of the sport (and your life!!).

I can clearly remember (no pun intended) the days of no helmets on the ski slopes through the '90s. Thanks to the growth of snowboarding and it's insistance on using helmets, it's now a rarety to see anyone on the slopes without a helmet. Especially on the kids and thankfully now skiiers too.

I don't wear one now but have thought about it for years that it might be a good investment. I wear a helmet for snowboarding and biking. Why not for slalom or wakeboard or barefooting???

Thanks for the push!!
Speeds are too high to wear a helmet for barefooting or slalom. Catch one edge and off with your head.

Perhaps there is a market for a new design helmet for slalom & footing???

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-17-2012, 02:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007, PS214, MCX 350
What about the jumpers? ALL of them where the helmets and their speeds can match that of slalom. right??

But if there IS a lapse in the market, then yes I could see the opportunity.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Speeds are too high to wear a helmet for barefooting or slalom. Catch one edge and off with your head.
I'd urge you to ask around - maybe if you know some sports medicine or orthopedic surgeons - and confirm your logic. I would think more speed makes it more likely they would recommend a helmet, not less. The faster you go, the harder your head hits and the higher the risk of brain injury. I understand the fear of the helmet snapping your neck at higher speed, but the doctors I asked were far more concerned about conccussions than neck injury.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauti-dreamer View Post

Thanks for the push!!
I've been skiing for the last 25 years, and finally bought a helmet last season. I mainly bought it for the built in speaker capability, but it's nice when I'm ripping down the hill at mach 3 to know that if I hit my head in an crash, I won't be nearly as hurt as without it.

That said... I haven't decided if I'll wear it again this year. I like the non-bulkiness of just my hat. We'll see...

When I ride my motorcycle, however, it's a whole different ball game.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
I'd urge you to ask around - maybe if you know some sports medicine or orthopedic surgeons - and confirm your logic. I would think more speed makes it more likely they would recommend a helmet, not less. The faster you go, the harder your head hits and the higher the risk of brain injury. I understand the fear of the helmet snapping your neck at higher speed, but the doctors I asked were far more concerned about conccussions than neck injury.
Certainly more speed would make for a greater need for a helmet, however the potential for creating more harm than protection is too great. If it weren't, you would see slalom and footing folks with helmets.

And I'm definitely pro-helmet where applicable. My son, and anyone else who boards behind my boat wears a helmet. My nephew always wears a helmet when jumping. And I wouldn't even consider not wearing a helmet on my sled.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Helmet for sure even even while slalom....ear protection and prevents injuries from hitting the ski...

my .02