Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:21 PM
School Skier School Skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 190 1997
Location: Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Posts: 217
How Long To Store an MC

I may have to store my MC for two winters with no use in the summers. Is there any long term effects on the engine and the rest of the drive train with this long term lay up?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:22 PM
erkoehler's Avatar
erkoehler erkoehler is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Location: Bloomingdale, IL
Posts: 14,473
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
what year and kind of MC do you have?
__________________
www.lauderdalelakesmarina.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Danimal's Avatar
Danimal Danimal is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: '89 TriStar 190
Location: Burlington, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
what year and kind of MC do you have?
He has a MasterCraft ProStar 190 1997
__________________
"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
Woody Allen
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:41 PM
erkoehler's Avatar
erkoehler erkoehler is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Location: Bloomingdale, IL
Posts: 14,473
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by School Skier
I may have to store my MC for two winters with no use in the summers. Is there any long term effects on the engine and the rest of the drive train with this long term lay up?

In that case, I can take it up to my cottage and run it a couple weekends for you. Now, I will have to charge you gas money, but I am sure we can work something out.

These boats are made to be ran, you can store them but there will be some effects on them. Here are some tips you could try:

1. Put the boat away 100% dry.
2. Leave a 2x4 under engine box so that it is slightly propped open.
3. Leave observer seat open slightly.
4. Use a ton of moth balls or drier sheets to keep the
rodents/animals away.
5. Pull out battery and store in warm dry place outside of boat.
Trickle charge. (It may still be shot after 2 years.)
6. Apply a generous amount of 303 or other protectant to the vinyl before storage.
7. Make sure it is CLEAN inside and out.
8. Try to raise the tires of the trailer off the ground if at all possible.
And spray with armor all or silicone to prevent dry rot and flat spots.
9. Wax the hull with a good carnuba wax to maintain the finish.
10. It would be beneficial to the boat and engine if it was ran even if just for a day.
11. Winterize the boat as normal.
12. Tape exhaust flaps shut.
13. Shrink wrap.
__________________
www.lauderdalelakesmarina.com

Last edited by erkoehler; 08-18-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Danimal's Avatar
Danimal Danimal is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: '89 TriStar 190
Location: Burlington, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,039
Great tips. I will use this list even for my winter storage. I am really concerned about the whole moth ball thing. Last year when we stored our camper I put a bunch of moth balls in. I still can't get the smell out this year. It is literally gagging my family. My kids wont even sleep in the camper. They insist on sleeping in the tent. I have left the thing air out all summer and it still hasn't subsided.

I would suggest using a bunch of dryer sheets. I found that tip on a camping forum. The smell is pleasant and works just as good as moth balls.
__________________
"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
Woody Allen
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:48 PM
erkoehler's Avatar
erkoehler erkoehler is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Location: Bloomingdale, IL
Posts: 14,473
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Great tips. I will use this list even for my winter storage. I am really concerned about the whole moth ball thing. Last year when we stored our camper I put a bunch of moth balls in. I still can't get the smell out this year. It is literally gagging my family. My kids wont even sleep in the camper. They insist on sleeping in the tent. I have left the thing air out all summer and it still hasn't subsided.

I would suggest using a bunch of dryer sheets. I found that tip on a camping forum. The smell is pleasant and works just as good as moth balls.

We use moth balls every year in our other boat. It is a 15' open bow and we use approx. 1 box of moth balls each year when we put it away for the winter. Usually the smell lasts one weekend when we summerize it. Then it is fine.
__________________
www.lauderdalelakesmarina.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Danimal's Avatar
Danimal Danimal is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: '89 TriStar 190
Location: Burlington, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
We use moth balls every year in our other boat. It is a 15' open bow and we use approx. 1 box of moth balls each year when we put it away for the winter. Usually the smell lasts one weekend when we summerize it. Then it is fine.
Maybe the smell doesn't last as long in a boat because it's always open and gets wet all the time. I ready to sell the camper.
__________________
"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
Woody Allen
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:52 PM
erkoehler's Avatar
erkoehler erkoehler is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Location: Bloomingdale, IL
Posts: 14,473
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Maybe the smell doesn't last as long in a boat because it's always open and gets wet all the time. I ready to sell the camper.

Have you tried putting dry sheets all over in the camper to take the moth ball smell out?
__________________
www.lauderdalelakesmarina.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:52 PM
maristarman's Avatar
maristarman maristarman is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2005
Boat: 2001, Maristar 230 VRS, 330HP LTR
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 462
Send a message via AIM to maristarman Send a message via Yahoo to maristarman
You may want to think about some type of de-humidifier also if you plan on keeping it covered.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Danimal's Avatar
Danimal Danimal is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: '89 TriStar 190
Location: Burlington, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
Have you tried putting dry sheets all over in the camper to take the moth ball smell out?
No, but I have used about 5 boxes of baking soda and it's permeated the whole camper. Man it's bad. Gives me a splitting head ache!! Or maybe that's all the Capt. Morgan consumed whilst camping
__________________
"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
Woody Allen
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 PM.