Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Drivers Seat Removal 1993 ProStar

Hello all,

I recently removed my drivers seat in my "new to me" 1993 ProStar 190. I found a few helpful hints on he boards here, but figured I'm summarize what I did for anyone down the road that might be looking for info.

My drivers seat was hard to adjust, which was the reason I wanted to work on it. The seat is connected to a pair of sliding rails that screw into the floor mounting rails. I removed the seat and the rails as an entire unit. I read some folks that could just slide the seat right off the rails, but I think that is only possible if the rails had been removed in the past and some internal rail locking components removed.

What I did was:

1. Remove seat cushion and back cushion.
2. Slide seat all the way back and that will expose the front rail mounting screws on each of the rails. Remove each screw. Note: Mine were quite tight and I used a impact driver with a philips head bit to remove them. You might need the same or a big & stout philips screwdriver to remove them. Don't strip the heads!!!
3. On the seat, you will see several holes that can be used as access holes to the rear mounting rails screws. Slide the seat back until the access holes line up over the rail mounting screws. Remove two two screws.
4. The entire seat and rails can now be lifed out as a unit.

I carefully sprayed some de-greaser into the rails and worked them back and forth to clean out some of the old sticky grease. I then worked a small amount of new grease into the rails. On one of my rails, two small metallic cylinders fell out and I think these were part of the locking mechanism that keeps the rails from sliding fully apart from one another. So one of my rails can come apart, and the other cannot. I didn't worry too much about trying to put it back together. It works fine.

I also took the opportunity to clean off some rust where the metal rails meet the carpet. Also, now is a good time to clean and condition the vinyl on the right side of the seat and around the speaker to the right of the seat where access is difficult when th seat is in place.

Put things back together in reverse order and you should be good to go.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDaddy View Post
Hello all,

I recently removed my drivers seat in my "new to me" 1993 ProStar 190. I found a few helpful hints on he boards here, but figured I'm summarize what I did for anyone down the road that might be looking for info.

My drivers seat was hard to adjust, which was the reason I wanted to work on it. The seat is connected to a pair of sliding rails that screw into the floor mounting rails. I removed the seat and the rails as an entire unit. I read some folks that could just slide the seat right off the rails, but I think that is only possible if the rails had been removed in the past and some internal rail locking components removed.

What I did was:

1. Remove seat cushion and back cushion.
2. Slide seat all the way back and that will expose the front rail mounting screws on each of the rails. Remove each screw. Note: Mine were quite tight and I used a impact driver with a philips head bit to remove them. You might need the same or a big & stout philips screwdriver to remove them. Don't strip the heads!!!
3. On the seat, you will see several holes that can be used as access holes to the rear mounting rails screws. Slide the seat back until the access holes line up over the rail mounting screws. Remove two two screws.
4. The entire seat and rails can now be lifed out as a unit.

I carefully sprayed some de-greaser into the rails and worked them back and forth to clean out some of the old sticky grease. I then worked a small amount of new grease into the rails. On one of my rails, two small metallic cylinders fell out and I think these were part of the locking mechanism that keeps the rails from sliding fully apart from one another. So one of my rails can come apart, and the other cannot. I didn't worry too much about trying to put it back together. It works fine.

I also took the opportunity to clean off some rust where the metal rails meet the carpet. Also, now is a good time to clean and condition the vinyl on the right side of the seat and around the speaker to the right of the seat where access is difficult when th seat is in place.

Put things back together in reverse order and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Now u need to go get a swivel mount and put it between the slides and the seat base . I do not have a bolster seat , so this will raise the seat up maybe 2 inches , not much more than sitting on a cushion ( what most of us do anyway )
The swivel allows u to spin around to get out of the drivers seat when u get up , and also when sitting around and just hanging out u can spin around and be involved in the conversation instead of sitting straight forward all the time like a child in time out .
One of the best things I have done to the prostar that I really think mastercraft should have done from the factory ..!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner1020 View Post
Now u need to go get a swivel mount and put it between the slides and the seat base . I do not have a bolster seat , so this will raise the seat up maybe 2 inches , not much more than sitting on a cushion ( what most of us do anyway )
The swivel allows u to spin around to get out of the drivers seat when u get up , and also when sitting around and just hanging out u can spin around and be involved in the conversation instead of sitting straight forward all the time like a child in time out .
One of the best things I have done to the prostar that I really think mastercraft should have done from the factory ..!
Good call with the swivel mount! I'm going to have to do that on my '83.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner1020 View Post
Where did you get your swivel mount?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ky View Post
Where did you get your swivel mount?
Walmart will have them for about 12 to 15 bucks , and they are black powder coated . If they dont have them any boat supply place should have them . Very easy to find ..
Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
I really like that swivel idea, but I'm picturing the right side of my seat and quite a bit of that right seat area is in physical contact with the vinyl padding under the throttle control unit. Unless I moved the seat a bit to the left, I'm not sure if the seat would have room to rotate....
Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: looking to buy
nice! pictures please
Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: looking to buy
I'd love to know the part number for this an where you purchased it from because I need a swivel
Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 190 prostar
did anyone ever conclude whether a swivel would work on a PS 190?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
Would like to know as well...

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?

Tags
seat, seat rails, seat removal