Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
binding?

in the past we've been a boarding family. only one daughter has shown an interest in one ski so far. our current generic ski is too small for me (6'2" 220lbs). so i'm looking at a new or used ski and i know i'll need something 69-71" depending on the width, however, any advice on bindings would be appreciated. is there any downside to a "real" binding over the slip on compression bindings that are entry level? my wife thought the cheap ones might be safer when you fall as they will likely release easily. you can tell, her first thought was me falling.

any advice/comments on bindings for a beginner would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
IMO - get something that fits. i.e. basis binding from HO with rear toe plate...usually find on ebay regularly. XL on the binding if you were a size 12 mens shoe.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Theres 2 ways to look at it... some think its best to come out of the ski... however, I know I came out of a ski once only to have it follow me and then hit me in the head... 9 stitches later.... well anyways....

Kyle would never agree with me, but I still love my double animal wraps

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Theres 2 ways to look at it... some think its best to come out of the ski... however, I know I came out of a ski once only to have it follow me and then hit me in the head... 9 stitches later.... well anyways....

Kyle would never agree with me, but I still love my double animal wraps
Did that happen behind the bayliner???
Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Well, as a beginner, you're unlikely to be doing whatever TxsRiverRat was doing when he got hit by the ski.

In my experience, the binding hasn't really seemed to matter for beginners. I've got an older ski with a single-size wrap binding that works very nicely, and one of the Connelly Big Daddy skis with the floppy "slide the heel cup forward until it fits your foot" bindings. The floppy binding doesn't feel as secure when turning hard (I can feel my foot slide around in it a little bit), but it really doesn't make a big difference in my skiing. Of course, I don't try skiing the course either.

By the way, this style of ski works great for beginners, and skis pretty nicely for intermediate free-skiing as well. The size helps pop you out of the water easily, and you can still lean it over and cut pretty hard. If you can find one used, buy it in a heartbeat (the other Ski manufacturers make similar skis).
Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I'm in my 50s and have been using double Connelly Sidewinders. I think there are cases to be made either way but I'm very happy with the Sidewinders and I'll stay with the ski for the type of recreational skiing Id do (protected, calm water open skiing).

Fit/comfort is everything so try as many styles and sizes necessary to get something that works for you and don't let price be your major driver. If you do this right you'll own these for a long time and can transfer them over to another ski later if needed. I know guys on they're second and third skis with their original bindings.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Well, as a beginner, you're unlikely to be doing whatever TxsRiverRat was doing when he got hit by the ski.
Funny thing is, I wasn't doing anything crazy... I was on public water and hit 2 boats crossing wakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Did that happen behind the bayliner???
Yes, this was 1996, 2 years before I bought my prostar... So 81 sea ray baby!

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 03-28-2013, 03:49 PM
MC Fanatic

thanks for all the replies. it sounds like its almost a coin toss on bindings.

any input on these skis?

http://www.boardco.com/products/1254...-and-RTP-2012/

vs

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...m&postid=21226

thanks again.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
thanks for all the replies. it sounds like its almost a coin toss on bindings.

any input on these skis?

http://www.boardco.com/products/1254...-and-RTP-2012/

vs

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...m&postid=21226

thanks again.
If you don't have trouble on deep water starts off $200 for the triumph. Those bindings are decent but you will want to upgrade soon. When I got into my Animals I could not go back - sold them to mxhideout here. I would go with this because you can upgrade the bindings on this nice ski. I have 2010 triumph with Venom bindings.

IF you are unsure or not strong in deep water starts the outlaw my be a good choice. However this ski is like turning a truck... but very forgiving and stable... IMHO.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:23 PM
MC Fanatic

my deep water starts are unreliable. i was just thinking a longer ski would give more surface area to make up for its lack of width. thanks again for your help.