Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
XM radio in Lake Powell

Does anyone know how well XM radio picks up at Lake Powell, specifically towards the end of Last Chance Bay? I just activated my stereo in the boat for the next 6 months, and am hoping the canyon walls wont block the signal. I have an old stereo without an iphone hook-up, and don't want to spend money on it right now.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
I would think it's fine unless you were right up against the canyon wall in certain instances. Even then, kind of depends where the satellite is at the time.

What stereo do you have? You can generally buy a piece that plugs into where the satellite tuner plugs in that would have a small plug on it for phones/ipods/etc for next to nothing. I bought one for like 7 bucks on amazon. If you have easy access to the back of the stereo, you could switch between your satellite radio or auxiliary in depending on your mood.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 PM
MC Fanatic

I already tried to install the cable. I ordered the cable that the owners manual listed, but it didn't work. It was about $25. So either my stereo didn't support it, or the cable was wrong, or broken. I guess I could try one of those that transmit on an FM signal, but I would just as well replace the head unit, it is about 6yrs old
Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Series
We have never had any problems with satellite radio reception at Powell.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
I have problems with my sattelite reception in my truck when I have a tall wall on the south side. I am sure that it depends on which side you will be in. I would bet that if you park on the south side of one of the east/west fingers in last chance bay that you will have problems.

When you going to be there...4 days and counting.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Well I hope it works, I'm getting kind of used to having music on the boat, and we all like it.

Our trip starts July 15th. I can't hardly wait. We're taking a small weekend ski trip this weekend, and we have a week on Broken Bow the second week of June. Hopefully that will be enough to tide us over.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Series
My two favorite lakes, Broken Bow and Lake Powell. That's alot of towing this summer!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Unlike sat TV which may have a steep angle to the birds, sat radio is only about 15 degress max from straight up. So as long as you don't run the boat up on shore the cliffs shouldn't impact you.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakePowell View Post
My two favorite lakes, Broken Bow and Lake Powell. That's alot of towing this summer!
We are an hour south of OKC, so 5 hours to broken bow. The ut trip is actually a multi stop trip via WY, so lots of miles towing. The trailer has good tires, but the suburban will need new tires by the time we are done.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
Unlike sat TV which may have a steep angle to the birds, sat radio is only about 15 degress max from straight up. So as long as you don't run the boat up on shore the cliffs shouldn't impact you.

David
Earmark Marine
Thanks for the info. Let's just pray I don't end up on the shore. Last yr we didnt have a single wind storm. I don't think we can get that lucky 2yrs in a row.