Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X45
Question Ballast issue/ Perko switch issue?

Ok, i searched around quite a bit but was only getting partial answers so I figured I'd just start my own thread. I have an 08 X45.

Went to try and fill up the ballast this weekend on the port side and no luck. Was getting a mixture of 2 blinks and 3 blinks which by searching I found meant
2 = PUMP OVER LOAD (POSSIBLE KINKED LINE OR CLOGGED VENT)
3 = POWER LOSS BETWEEN AI MODULE AND PUMP

I went to check the starboard and kgb pumps and I was able to fill up both. I emptied the kgb but was not able to empty the starboard. Now I am getting the 2/3 blinks on all the switches.

Another issue I'm having is with my perko switch. Curious this weekend I decided to unhook one of my batteries. However, I was able to turn the boat on when the switched was turned to 1 and when it was turned to 2. This is no good right? I looked at the wiring on the back of the switch and it looked like all the wires were in the right place. Could the switch be broken? According to the gauges I have 14V. Could this be contributing to my ballast pump issue?

On the 08 X45 the intake is the same for the starboard/kgb and the port is separate. So my question is where should I be troubleshooting?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Are you trying to fill/empty only off of battery power? Pumps will time out pretty quickly if this is the case. Per the manual, you should fill/empty with engine running at 1500 RPM's. I fill standing still and empty plowing at 1500. Your battery switch should be 1 and position 2 is combined, so yes the boat will start in either position. Also, check your impellers, you should be using the green ones.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X45
Engine was on and idling.

I replaced the impellers last summer to the green ones. I took off the covers and they still looked brand new.

I also replaced the perko switch last summer and it has positions 1, 1+2, and 2. And when 1 of the batteries were disconnected it started on all positions.