Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1982 MasterCraft Stars & Stripes
1982 Interior (Not Deluxe Model)

I have successfully claimed my birthright on MY 1982 Blue/Blue Metal Flake Stars & Stripes that my Dad bought from a MasterCraft team trick-er in 1983. I rebuilt the motor a couple of years ago, but the wife says she's not riding in it until the interior gets fixed.

I haven't found another boat with a similar interior and am looking for one and some advice. Driver's and Observer's (base) seats seem to be pretty standard, but the questions come in with the back rest for the observer's seat and back seat. Both back rests snap in and the "base" for the back seat is literally an upholstered 6 inch thick foam pad that sits on the floor...

I promise to post pics as soon as possible...
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
82, that is what they had originally. However, there was a "Deluxe" version that had a better back seat with arms and the motor box was covered with ulphostery. Is your motor box covered or just the fiberglass. I owned a red 1982 Deluxe version which my neighbor now owns. He recently had the ulphostery replaced but did the simple base for the back. I had both seats for it. He removed the ulphostery from the motor box becasue it was in bad shape and the box underneath is like new.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
TT Newbie

My motor box is fiberglass only. The vinyl is not the smooth texture; it has the lines in it but isn't quite "piping" if that makes sense... I'm trying to find someone that has a picture of what the original looked like and see if I can find something about fixing the observer's seat base. I'm also curious about how rare my boat is as a whole with the rounded windshield the non-deluxe interior and the light blue base with royal blue metal flake.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM
TT Newbie

I'm also looking for some info on a replacing some cockpit components: steering wheel, wood veneer, original throttle assembly.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars&Stripes, 351w, grey and blue
Congrats on the birthright and becoming a member of TT! Pics are very welcome here, so when you get a chance post the photos of your boat. I have an '85 and the steering wheel I have is the original. Grant makes an exact replica of it (they may have even been the original supplier). I'm not sure what yours looks like but a Grant will work as a replacement. The wood veneer is going to be hard to come by, but I have seen many on this forum do different things that turned out awesome. I believe one person even used vinyl (similar to contact paper) and made a realistic looking replication. Good luck and we look forward to your progress. BTW, where in the southeast are you? I'm in middle TN.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 stars/stripes 351W
Here are a couple of pictures of my 81 interior, I think the backs of the observer seat and the back of the back seat are original, the bottoms have both been re-covered
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
TT Newbie

Gents, thanks a ton for the info. I promise to post pics soon. 81SNS, is your driver's seat original too? I really appreciate your pictures for the texture of the seats at very least. The only other thing I need is the actual layout of the backrests for the observer's and rear seats since mine is not a deluxe model interior...
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 stars/stripes 351W
The seat is original but was re-upholstered probably at the same time as the observer seat bottom, as it appears to be the same material.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 MasterCraft Stars & Stripes
Beautiful!! Sure wish I could find an original captain's chair and rear bench for my '79. May just try to make one. Anyway, that's a good looker!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 Powerslot 19' 351windsor PCM
This is my 81'. I think this is your boat as well?

I believe it to be all original. Boat itself only has 420 hours on it.

Tags
1982, interior, upholstery