Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2002
02 X Star Replacement Tower Speakers... Suggestions?

I need four 6.5" speakers for my tower and four 1.5" tweeters.. The 6.5" are easy to find but there are thousands to choose from. Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonable priced ones? I had Clarion but they are discontinued which is good cause they dry rotted easily.

The hard thing to find is 1.5" marine tweeters! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Kicker will fit, maybe Polk, but to be honest I'd just throw a few more dollars at it and get a pair or Wetsounds (or similar speakers). You'll be amazed at the difference.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM
TT Regular

Thanks man. I'll check them out. Still can't find replacement tweeters.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Ditch the old cans all together and pick up some used HLCD speakers like Wetsounds Pro 80's of bullet hollowpoint 770's There are tons of people selling slightly used PRO 80's as Wetsounds just revamped their entire line. 2 of these will blow any amount of those 6.5 speakers out of the water. They will also be just a bit more that 4 decent new 6.5 components cash wise if you do the used route. They will project and sound 10 fold at the end of the line than what's up there now. Since you have a reason to upgrade take advantage and spend just a bit more and do it right.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X Star
This is always everyones standard comment "Just get Wetsounds" but for instance on my application, its just not feesable. I have 8 speakers mounted up there from the previous owner, 4 original clarions with the tweeters like Briggle2, and a pair of the old Fusion 6.5, 5.5 and tweeter cans. I have freaking holes everywhere on this tower, so realistically to make anything else look nice (i.e. the Rev10's i would love) I feel like I would have to put up a whole new tower cause of the holes.

So im in the same boat, I need to replace all the clarions cause they cracked/dry rotted almost to the point where they dont function. Thank goodness the Fusions held up.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:40 PM
TT Regular

I honestly don't know much at all about audio. Will any marine 6.5" fit my cans? I've got an amp solely for my tower speakers..
Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 x star. 6.0l
I'm starting to think everyone on this site works for wetsounds lol
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
I put Polks in mine so I know they fit. Kept it that way for about 2 months and went with Bullets. I totally agree with swatguy-my opinion: HLCD speakers are the only way to go on the tower (by a mile).
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
A great speaker with wattage that will fit in the cans if you want to stay with 6.5 are the MB Quart speakers and a great bang for the Buck as mentioned are the Polls. I have also heard great things about the new Exile surf 6.5 speakers, but again now we're are talking a few hundo for sets.

While there are plenty of other options besides Wetsounds to fullfill you HLCD needs there just isn't a ton of the other brands "used" stuff out there. There is a reason HLCD speakers such as wetsounds, nvs, exile, bullet, krypt are always recommended. It's because tower speakers have come a long way in the years. You no longer need to push car speakers to their limits to obtain some sound. They specifically engineered tower speakers to project sound distances. They blow those old 6.5 components away at the end of the rope for times while riding. If you are not concerned about tunes while riding and want more of a party cove sound the older 6.5 can still work well. However if you are wanting tunes while you ride HLCD speakers are the only way to go.

I am not a huge thumping stereo guy. Forever I thought HLCD speakers were for those guys thumping stereoes all day.....I slowly upgraded very the years from the standard 6.5 coax to MB quarts, then to 6.5 Krypt HLCD speakers. They fit my standard 6.5 inch can and were an awesome upgrade. You could cleanly hear the music back at 80ft with just 2. If you can get your hands on them (krypt or bullet 6.5 Blvd speakers) they will drop in your pods. I then upgraded to Wetsounds pro 80's as i got deal on used pair and again the performance was 10 fold.

I have done the budget thing and tried to keep costs down however had I just done the upgrade right away to HLCD speakers I probably would have saved money in the long run because every 2 years I wanted a bit more sound at end of the rope. Again I am by no means/a huge thumping stereo guy. I ride usually only with my tower speakers 90% of the time don't really party cove thump . Even with that I appreciate fully the cash to sound ratio for HLCD speakers. There really is no comparison whether Wetsounds, NVS, Exile, Bullet or Krypt. Especially now that you can find used/HLCD speakers.

Again just my .02

Last edited by swatguy; 04-30-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
Do yourself a favor and take a look at Exile.... great customer service and support.