Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
thanks BMcD, Darren at the MC dealership says that the new x30 has a better wave than the x35, but it wasn't clear if this was from having rode it himself or just repeating the official MC marketing

CantRepeat - yes I read what you wrote, I have just been looking to hear more opinions, to see if anybody else had direct experience.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadip View Post
I'm a total n00b, looking to decide between an x30 and x35. I've never wakesurfed, but I want to learn. the other equally important use for the boat will be cruising around and pulling little kids around innertubing. This is on lake washington, which is calm some days, choppy other days.

I already test-drove both, it's clear the x35 is a bit harder to maneuver. But how much better is it in moderately rough water? And which boat has a better wake for LEARNING wakesurfing (or is the difference in wakes irrelevant for novices)?
In what way is the X35 harder to maneuver than the X30?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: supra comp
i went out on a x30 with stock ballast in knoxville and I have been out on the 35 several times weighted and all I can say stock the 30 is alot better and if it had extra weight i can only imagine how big it is
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: supra comp
when i say that i mean stock vs stock the 30 is better
Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonba1 View Post
i went out on a x30 with stock ballast in knoxville and I have been out on the 35 several times weighted and all I can say stock the 30 is alot better and if it had extra weight i can only imagine how big it is
Well, all I can say is from looking at the videos of the 2012 X30 with stock +400 they come no where near close to what Chase Hazen has done on an X35.

http://slayshtank.com/2011/06/mastercraftwakesurf/
Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
Hadi,

Just driving around Lake WA I don't think the difference in maneuverability will matter. You'll get used to either quickly. The only scenario that it might create a little more discomfort is when you're docking into a tight, unfamiliar place. On the other hand, the water on Lake WA can get quite rough, and the better rough water behavior could very well make a big difference in comfort for you and your passengers.

I can't speak for the specific differences between the X-35 and X-30; I don't know just how the X-30 behaves in rougher water, or how much more maneuverable it is than the X-35.

What I can say is that I previously had 205V based X-2 (similar to the X-1) and now have an X-25. The X-2 may be the most maneuverable V-drive MC has made. It felt like a sports car. The X-25 handles more like a big sedan. It doesn't turn nearly as quickly so I have to be more thoughtful in tight spaces or slow speeds. But in normal driving, really no functional difference.

The big difference is that the X-25 is a deep V and cuts through the rough water to the extent I don't notice it much any more, whereas the X-2 got pounded. Even just crossing over my own wake when turning around -- huge difference that my crew and I noticed and appreciated right away. It also means that on many afternoons when I wanted to take the boat out for a cruise with friends and family, or a tubing session with kids, with the X-2 I wouldn't go because it was too rough, or the risk of taking hits over the bow. No problem with the X-25 -- and I get much more family use with the X-25 than I did with the X-2 as a result.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
Sorry only X30 pic I had.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
BMcD - I test-drove both, at least on a calm day, the maneuverability difference was pretty obvious. x30 turned much more quickly, x35 reacted a few seconds later, (and required hydraulic steering). I think this also could make it harder to pick up a surfer/boarder once they are in the water, it's slightly harder to circle around them.

I've spoken with Darren at MC and test-driven both boats, he says x30 has a better surf wake, but I'm not sure if that's from his personal experience or repeating MC's marketing.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
Stock for Stock the X-30 is more maneuverable along with having a better surf wake and better beginner wakeboard wake. The 35 can have a massive surf wake, but needs a lot of weight. Mr Hazen, I believe, was running about 4000lbs of ballast on one side of the boat.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
and remember.. this is for a beginner. I learned to surf behind a 79 S&S, it took alot of skill to let go of the rope, so when i'm on a big wake it seems like cake now. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

the 35 is just SUCH a big boat, and the 30 is shiney and new, although with being awesome.

Tags
wakesurfing, x30, x35