Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Blowing up JL auidio 7.7 inch ccs speakers

I am running a jl audio mhd 600 amp to my 7.7 inch jl; aiudio ccs speakes and have since blown up 4 speakers. At first I blamed it on the original ones were on the older side, but now I am not so sure. Interesting thing, when I say they are blown, they have distorted sound at LOW volume. At very high volume levels they are fine. I was thinkning of changing out to 8 inch subwoofers in all of those locations, some models have much higher power handling. Any input would be great.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Could it be that you are blowing them up because they are over powered?

Amp = 150w RMS

Speakers = 100w RMS 175 peak.

And you say at very high volumes, I would guess you are push all of that 150w to them.

I'm sure David or Jim will be along to clarify. lol
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by venetrex View Post
I am running a jl audio mhd 600 amp to my 7.7 inch jl; aiudio ccs speakes and have since blown up 4 speakers. At first I blamed it on the original ones were on the older side, but now I am not so sure. Interesting thing, when I say they are blown, they have distorted sound at LOW volume. At very high volume levels they are fine. I was thinkning of changing out to 8 inch subwoofers in all of those locations, some models have much higher power handling. Any input would be great.
Subwoofers aren't 8". They may be capable of producing bass, but not at meaningful levels in an outdoor installation. Are you using the high pass crossover on the amp (marked as HP)? How did you set the input level controls on the amp? These two settings will keep you from damaging speakers and if you go to the JL site, you will find their recommended method of setting the input level. Setting it at the maximum in NOT the correct way unless the head unit's output voltage is extremely low.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
I'm guessing JL will tell you that they are over powered.

The watts on a channel are what they are. They are either off or on. You have a 150w channel when on no matter what. Gain does not turn up watts or down watts. It turns the volume up and down. If the volume is set properly with the head unit and gain set up from amp then distortion will stay away. Another thing is say that you have a head unit that goes up to 50 and you max the gain to where the head unit can only reach 25 before distorting, then AC current can start feeding in your system even though you are running DC current.

Ok I'm stumbling over my toungue and can't put down what I am trying to.

Read this.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0135838AAx5e4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Gains

Gains are set pretty darn low because I have a wet sounds ws420eq. I do have the high pass crossover set as well. I can get particulars, however I get no distortion at high volume ever these amps put out clean power . The condition of low volume cone noise is really strange. Speakers usually blow the other way around. I had no issues with 150rms to the jl's tcs's I had in the tower before changing to bullet hlcd's. I am not looking for sub bass out of the 8inchers if they will work, just a more durable speaker that can handle the higher power. Maybe a free air 8inch, but have not found any. For me I have the 2 stock 7.7 components in the rear cockpit and 2 more 7.7 in the rear panel below the seat by the engine. I am still not happy with the output on a windy day. Just to be clear on what my setup is. I have 2 MHD 600 amp and 1 MHD 750 for the sub. Stock free air sub. 1 MHD 600 powers the tower and the other powers all the cockpit. Now speakers and the added below the rear seat wired in parallel. No problems with those. It's the 2 that are running the 150rms that are fainting on me. Maybe I need 2 add 2 more speakers and I'll be good. But where without hacking up the boat too much.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Gains are set pretty darn low because I have a wet sounds ws420eq. I do have the high pass crossover set as well. I can get particulars, however I get no distortion at high volume ever these amps put out clean power . The condition of low volume cone noise is really strange. Speakers usually blow the other way around. I had no issues with 150rms to the jl's tcs's I had in the tower before changing to bullet hlcd's. I am not looking for sub bass out of the 8inchers if they will work, just a more durable speaker that can handle the higher power. Maybe a free air 8inch, but have not found any. For me I have the 2 stock 7.7 components in the rear cockpit and 2 more 7.7 in the rear panel below the seat by the engine. I am still not happy with the output on a windy day. Just to be clear on what my setup is. I have 2 MHD 600 amp and 1 MHD 750 for the sub. Stock free air sub. 1 MHD 600 powers the tower and the other powers all the cockpit. Now speakers and the added below the rear seat wired in parallel. No problems with those. It's the 2 that are running the 150rms that are fainting on me. Maybe I need 2 add 2 more speakers and I'll be good. But where without hacking up the boat too much.
If we have 4 speakers on 2 channels then they have 75w and the 2 other speakers have 150w

Now you are changing your ohms when you add more than one speaker to one channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I'm guessing JL will tell you that they are over powered.

The watts on a channel are what they are. They are either off or on. You have a 150w channel when on no matter what. Gain does not turn up watts or down watts. It turns the volume up and down. If the volume is set properly with the head unit and gain set up from amp then distortion will stay away. Another thing is say that you have a head unit that goes up to 50 and you max the gain to where the head unit can only reach 25 before distorting, then AC current can start feeding in your system even though you are running DC current.

Ok I'm stumbling over my toungue and can't put down what I am trying to.

Read this.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0135838AAx5e4d
This is incorrect .. its not Watts no matter what.. the amount of power pushed or really dissapated by to the speaker absolutely depends on the gain , current volume setting, and actual source material being played.

Really the amp is swinging voltage and the impedance of the speaker causes current to flow.. that mix determines the amount of power .. the Voltage level determines end volume played and therefore amount of power either delivered as sound and moreover as heat since loudspeakers are horribly inefficient
Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

And absolutely no where in the signal chain should there be DC current .. that is BAD really bad... but that would only be the case of a serious malfunction or in the short case of clipping. Pretty much everything you've stated is incorrect but I think your thinking the right idea just not the underlying physics of it all
Old 04-29-2012, 03:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

And the yahoo article is not too bad a decent description and process to get setup reasonably well
Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
You can have rubbing voice coils and not hear it at high SPL- the louder SPL may be masking the sound of the rubbing.

Again, how did you set up the amp's controls? Since you now say you have an EQ in the signal path, that makes a big difference. Your head unit may not be clipping and without hte EQ, your amp may not clip with the head unit connected but with all three, you add gain with the equalizer AND amp, making it easy to cause clipping. If your EQ controls are set above unity gain, you could very well be making the amp clip because the input level is too high.