Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
So, I think Im largely done with fiberglass work. I glassed the last floor section in today. Now, its just odds and ends, cleaning up areas with the grinder potentially. Im gonna take the pressure washer to the boat and clean it all up. Then it will be time to work on buffing finally. Also, it looks like its time to really hit the motor at full speed. Ill be ordering more parts tonight or tomorrow, and will be working on getting it all assembled. Here's a couple of images of the last floor section in place.

Ive given the swim plateform 2 coats of oil and it now looks nice on both sides. Im also almost done with the side panels. They will be ready for upholstery as funds allow soon. Its coming together, and its exciting.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Have you been able to locate an original MC operators manual for the 1990 Prostar? I found one from the original owner on Craigslist Portland with 230 hrs and bought it. I just drove it back home to Alaska, but am trying to get accurate information for things like winterization and regular maintenance. It seems as though there were some changes between the 1989, 1990 and 1991-93 models. My boat is in beautiful condition as this was the prior owner's baby. In fact, thats why he sold it because his family didn't enjoy boating due to his "overboard" attitude regarding cleanliness, scratches, etc. My gain, as I hope to keep the boat in superior condition. Thanks for any help. It looks like your project boat is at the opposite end of the spectrum.
Congrats on your find. Most of what you'll need to know is available here, using the 'search' feature. Here is a link to the manual, and while there are a few subtle changes between those years - the basics are the same. Here is a checklist for winterization.
This page is a great start to answering common questions!
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 11-17-2012, 01:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Got more work done this week.

I got the timing chain, timing chain cover, water pump and oil pump installed on the motor. I also found what looks like the exact replacement for the harmonic balancer at Oriely's, its from a '71 Mach 1. Ill get that possibly tomorrow, but def. on Sunday and install it.

I also assembled the tranny about 75%. I have a few plugs to replace, and then install little tidbits, but the transmission itself is together. The Reduction unit is about half way together or so.

One of my worries was about the pitting on the shaft, but it seems like its not where the seal sits so Im not expecting any leaks from there, which is awesome news. Wont know for sure until the thing runs. For those wondering about rebuilding a velvet drive, its actually not nearly as hard as it looks. Granted I havent run it yet and dont know if I messed something up, but the directions in the manual are pretty straight forward and its cool to learn how the transmission fits together. Once assembled, I will be giving both the motor and the tranny some more paint.

Im just about ready to purchase some heads. Ill be getting GT-40P heads. Ill also be looking at the distributors I have, it looks like one of them will work fine. Worst case senario, I'll change it later if its not the best option. Then Ill be looking at carb rebuild. I have the kit already. Its coming together, so exciting!
Old 11-17-2012, 02:27 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 maristar 200
Awesome job.....great patience
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Just amazing. Thanks for sharing your hard work!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Others have stated as well, but you are a machine. I would have taken a year to get where you are. Not sure I would have thought the boat could have been revived. Good work, skills and vision. I am thinking you will enjoy her more when done than an owner who purchases a skiable boat and has not been where you are.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskifreak View Post
Others have stated as well, but you are a machine. I would have taken a year to get where you are. Not sure I would have thought the boat could have been revived. Good work, skills and vision. I am thinking you will enjoy her more when done than an owner who purchases a skiable boat and has not been where you are.
You know, Ive really enjoyed the process. I know I wont ever want to sell the boat at anywhere near market value. It will be really cool to use it for the next couple decades
Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well, the balancer is installed. The transmission is together. I have to order an oil cooler and hoses and the thing should be ready to go. Here is a couple of images.

My boat originally did not have a transmission heat alarm. I have a friend that has a similar set up in a hydrodyne and that boat does not have the heat alarm either. Is that something difficult to wire up or add? Seem like it could be a good thing to have.

The process continues!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Maybe an optical illusion. But is your pylon bent towards the starboard side?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Maybe an optical illusion. But is your pylon bent towards the starboard side?
Its not an illusion, the pylon isnt attached, its just sitting there, Im using it to hold up the tarp that covers the boat. It isnt bolted down at all, so its leaning.