Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjracin240 View Post
Very cool and inspirational to me to get my 88 190 done. Found the same questions regarding the water under the bilge pump on my boat, tried vacuuming it out as best I could. Following along with your repair and removing a layer of foam....what foam did you use to replace it with?
Also interested in your windshield work, when I pulled out my windshield found it very difficult to go back, had to warm the old rubber with a steam gun used for removing tint to make the rubber pliable enough to allow the re-installation of the windshield.

Keep the story coming along with the pictures, very interesting.
I used an evercoat sealant spray thus far. It was advertised as having use in as flotation foam, and it say waterproof, Im not sure if I completely believe that. I think Im gonna get a 2 part foam from us composites. Its a mix and pour kind. I'll use it in the areas where I cut large holes in the floor. Once set, I'll trim it to be flush and level, I'll pour epoxy on top and glue the cut out floor on top. Then fill the join, and glass over top. Figure that should work pretty well. My original idea was to just take the foam out, and install a draim plug, but that would more complicated as there are ribs that run the full length of the floor. So removing the foam would allow water to sit in the individual tunnels between the ribs. My hope is that I'll have the area sealed to the point that at least for the next 20 years there wont be an issue with the foam . Id consider the restoration a success if that occurs.

As far as the windshield. My rubber pieces are quite pliable, I dont anticipate an issue installing it. My bigger concern is finding a source for the stainless fasteners that hold the windshield in place.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Got more work done. Started putting the motor back together. New Piston Rings, new bearings all around. Pistons, crank, and cam all installed. Here are some pics.

Old rings on the left, assembled pistons on the right.

rear seal, found out after some research, the spring on the seal is supposed to face the inside of the motor.

Aint it pretty? Ill be ordering a new oil pump, and continuing the assembly. Its cool seeing things start coming together.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
I'll be it's cool. Nice work on her! It is inspiring.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 190 prostar
Mind blowing persistence and patience.

I can handle some of these projects but your positive attitude while handling all of them at once is amazing!! Thanks for taking all of us along for the ride!!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 MC Prostar 190
I really like that you have been trying to reuse or fix most everything that is bad. Seems like most people now a days just throwaway anything that is old or broken and goto the store and buy a new whatever. Great job so far, keep it up!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. I got some more work done, glassed in a section of floor. I have two more pieces this size to go.

I wouldnt mind being able to buy say, a complete motor, transmission, and all other parts, but I can afford that. Unfortunately I have to replace a lot still. But thats part of the fun. I'll def know the in and outs of my boat when its done.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
I have been lurking for a while reading up on the restos that people have done. I found your thread tonight and enjoyed following it thus far. You are doing a great job. I am looking for a similar project boat myself and hope something will come by soon. Reading through all the resto threads has given me boat fever. By the way, I am from Bainbridge (GA) so I'm not too far from you.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWGA Boater View Post
I have been lurking for a while reading up on the restos that people have done. I found your thread tonight and enjoyed following it thus far. You are doing a great job. I am looking for a similar project boat myself and hope something will come by soon. Reading through all the resto threads has given me boat fever. By the way, I am from Bainbridge (GA) so I'm not too far from you.
Thats what happened to me. Then I skied/drove a 76 natique a friend of mine has and decided to really look for a boat. I was looking at all brands really, and then my boat poped up on craigslist. I actually ski up on the Flint fairly often. On a bayliner 175 with a tower. Im the weirdo barefooting behind it.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1990, 351
Have you been able to locate an original MC operators manual for the 1990 Prostar? I found one from the original owner on Craigslist Portland with 230 hrs and bought it. I just drove it back home to Alaska, but am trying to get accurate information for things like winterization and regular maintenance. It seems as though there were some changes between the 1989, 1990 and 1991-93 models. My boat is in beautiful condition as this was the prior owner's baby. In fact, thats why he sold it because his family didn't enjoy boating due to his "overboard" attitude regarding cleanliness, scratches, etc. My gain, as I hope to keep the boat in superior condition. Thanks for any help. It looks like your project boat is at the opposite end of the spectrum.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Have you been able to locate an original MC operators manual for the 1990 Prostar? I found one from the original owner on Craigslist Portland with 230 hrs and bought it. I just drove it back home to Alaska, but am trying to get accurate information for things like winterization and regular maintenance. It seems as though there were some changes between the 1989, 1990 and 1991-93 models. My boat is in beautiful condition as this was the prior owner's baby. In fact, thats why he sold it because his family didn't enjoy boating due to his "overboard" attitude regarding cleanliness, scratches, etc. My gain, as I hope to keep the boat in superior condition. Thanks for any help. It looks like your project boat is at the opposite end of the spectrum.
Without a doubt, this boat was the opposite of that. It will look good, and function well when Im done. I dont have any desire to make a show boat, but rather a fully functional usable boat. I havent even attempted to find anything like the owners manual to be honest. In reality, I'll end with a lot of after market parts that an original manual wont help that much. Also, I dont have to winterize in Florida, I plan on using the boat year-round. Send me some pics of your boat!