Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-01-2015, 08:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Teak alternative for swim platform

So heres the deal. My current platform on my 240 is the slatted and semi open style common on the MCs of the era. I am looking to go to a solid platform for several reasons. I prefer the look, I hate the thought of catching a toe or board in a slot, and it is just flat out not going to work with my pup. She even knows better than to think about standing on it.
After looking at raw teak lumber prices I am just not willing to drop that kind of cash this year with everything else I am dumping into the boat this year. Originally I considered a Jatoba platform from the platform guy that seems to no longer be in business. After reading a few threads in various places I am glad that didn't work out.
This brings me to Ipe. Does anyone have any experience with Ipe on their boat or as decking or furniture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2015, 08:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Our dock is ipe decked.
Very hard and durable but I don't know what it looks lik oiled
Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

The second picture is oiled Ipe at a specialty lumber yard. What does it look like un oiled? I have to assume it grays like teak.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:36 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209
Ipe is very dense. It will sink when placed in water. It is very difficult to cut and screw; however, it will last longer than almost any other wood. As to the "weathering" of Ipe - it will gray, although it doesn't gray as much as teak. I would stick with teak. I wish i could build my deck and dock out of Ipe ($$$).
Old 05-01-2015, 09:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Supra Comp Ts6m
I am using African Mahogany to build my swim platform, about $125 in material cost. Here are a couple pics of a friends already completed.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Funny, your platform is broken in the same corner spot mine is!

The African Mahogany looks amamzing. I planned on doing somehting like this, but with the way im using my time right now, I think Ill just be sanding and re-oiling my platform. I need to get the boat water ready.

To the OP, do what cjtpilot is doing. I would only really be concerned with using a different wood if the boat is staying in the water for extended periods of time. If you trailer and oil it, I doubt you will have problems.

Also, I might buy your old platform for the right price if you decide to throw it out. Let me know.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
I had a new platform made for me by The Platform Guy. I did it for the same reasons as f925 did. It was made out of the Jatoba wood. All I can tell you is that it turned out beautiful, but it is 3X the weight. Man, that's some dense wood.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

You guys rock! I will look into african mahogany, I had not seen that as an option but the price is super tempting!
Ipe I think is even more dense than Jatoba.

cjtpilot- how is the workability of the african mahogany? From research the Ipe was going to be a blade killing nightmare, and of coarse the density at nearly 2 lbs a board foot for 3/4" x 3.5" it was going to take a fork lift to get it in place. Those platforms look amazing! Someone does need to correct the "craigslist spelling" of Ski on the SKY supreme though...😎 I know that was a V drive Supreme pun name. Maybe it is just a Georgia thing but I cringe every time I see "Sky boat fur sail"

Roman you will have first dibs on the platform If I don't turn it into a bar for the back deck.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Supra Comp Ts6m
My fried just replaced all his stringers with African Mahogany it is nice to work with, it isn't as dense as Jatoba. I was going to use Jatoba until I researched and read you can actually tap a hole and it will hold just as good as metal. Make sure you go to a speciality store though to get the wood instead of one of the big box stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f925 View Post
You guys rock! I will look into african mahogany, I had not seen that as an option but the price is super tempting!
Ipe I think is even more dense than Jatoba.

cjtpilot- how is the workability of the african mahogany? From research the Ipe was going to be a blade killing nightmare, and of coarse the density at nearly 2 lbs a board foot for 3/4" x 3.5" it was going to take a fork lift to get it in place. Those platforms look amazing! Someone does need to correct the "craigslist spelling" of Ski on the SKY supreme though...😎 Maybe it is just a Georgia thing but I cringe every time I see "Sky boat fur sail"

Roman you will have first dibs on the platform If I don't turn it into a bar for the back deck.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars & Stripes

Teak world enterprise can make you replacement pieces for you. If you are up for just repairing. Or make you a solid one. I belive this is the company that makes MC's platforms so they have all the patterns and can produce a solid one around $500

Sent from my Obama iPhone using Tapatalk