Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
You were correct the first time... transmission ratio has no effect on ability to spin the prop by hand out of the water. These trannies are hydraulic... so if theyre not spinning and building pressure in the pump, there is nothing pressing the clutches together and it can freewheel. Its not like youre spinning engaged gears or anything.

Like Eric said, the only thing that *should* be causing any sort of resistance is the strut bushing. I disagree that a rubber strut bushing will make it difficult to turn though. Even a brand new boat with a fresh bushing should turn with one finger. A properly aligned boat with his vesconite bushings spins easier though. My buddy has them installed and you can spin that prop by hand and it will turn a few revolutions before stopping. Crazy how little friction there is.

Bottom line, if the prop is hard to turn by hand, then youre either misaligned, or something is bent.
The planetary gear reduction is bolted to the back of the trans I would believe it would add some rolling resistance but I could not say how much. Likewise, the gear set in a V drive would give some rolling resistance as well.

The 71 1.1s should spin freely as they do not have any gear reduction or gear sets.

As Eric pointed out, but I didn't think about because I've never seen them used, the rubber bearings in the strut offer some resistance too.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88 Prostar 190 & 2006 Chaparral Sunesta 232
Quote:
You were correct the first time... transmission ratio has no effect on ability to spin the prop by hand out of the water. These trannies are hydraulic... so if theyre not spinning and building pressure in the pump, there is nothing pressing the clutches together and it can freewheel. Its not like youre spinning engaged gears or anything.

Like Eric said, the only thing that *should* be causing any sort of resistance is the strut bushing. I disagree that a rubber strut bushing will make it difficult to turn though. Even a brand new boat with a fresh bushing should turn with one finger. A properly aligned boat with his vesconite bushings spins easier though. My buddy has them installed and you can spin that prop by hand and it will turn a few revolutions before stopping. Crazy how little friction there is.

Bottom line, if the prop is hard to turn by hand, then youre either misaligned, or something is bent.
if your statement is accurate and im in no position to doubt it (if the prop is hard to turn by hand then im misaligned or something is bent) then why would it be hard to turn when disconnected from the transmission with the coupler off and the shaft free from the boat hull....what im trying to say is that as i was pulling the shaft this morning it was hard to pull the entire length of the shaft..could it be that the bushings are shot? it seems counter intuitive to me that as the bearing wears out it is hard to spin..it should get easier i would think...and the shaft is straight...not questioning your knowledge, just tying to gain some!!! thanks guys

Last edited by Chrisoswald; 05-01-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:

if your statement is accurate and im in no position to doubt it (if the prop is hard to turn by hand then im misaligned or something is bent) then why would it be hard to turn when disconnected from the transmission with the coupler off and the shaft free from the boat hull....what im trying to say is that as i was pulling the shaft this morning it was hard to pull the entire length of the shaft..could it be that the bushings are shot? it seems counter intuitive to me that as the bearing wears out it is hard to spin...not questioning your knowledge, just tying to gain some!!! thanks guys
Old 05-01-2012, 04:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Looks like you have it narrowed down to the shaft, bearing and strut.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Looks like you have it narrowed down to the shaft, bearing and strut.
forgot to mention that the shaft is straight as a string...im going to replace the bushings since i have gone this far...might as well make the drive line fresh...any suggestions on which is better...plastic or the traditional metal with rubber?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

i have a new development. i have the shaft log at home and am cleaning it up..i noticed that the nut will not screw down all the way on to the shaft log...looks like a PO hit it with a hammer hard enough to dent the shaft log nut and that dent transferred to the threads inside the shaft log nut...in other words the nut is not 100% round prohibiting the nut from creating a tight seal with the packing against the shaft log and shaft!!! any ideas where i can get a new shaft log nut??? or do you think this is something that can be fixed...any ideas??? thanks!!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Might as well replace it with the dripless shaft seal as well. With new composite bearings and shaft seal system, prop will spin freely for sure.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ OJPROP View Post
Might as well replace it with the dripless shaft seal as well. With new composite bearings and shaft seal system, prop will spin freely for sure.
i dont think i have enough room..those dripless units need i think a minimum of 7 inches and the space between my transmission and where the shaft leaves the boat is very short.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisoswald View Post
if your statement is accurate and im in no position to doubt it (if the prop is hard to turn by hand then im misaligned or something is bent) then why would it be hard to turn when disconnected from the transmission with the coupler off and the shaft free from the boat hull....what im trying to say is that as i was pulling the shaft this morning it was hard to pull the entire length of the shaft..could it be that the bushings are shot? it seems counter intuitive to me that as the bearing wears out it is hard to spin..it should get easier i would think...and the shaft is straight...not questioning your knowledge, just tying to gain some!!! thanks guys
If the couplers are separated, that would remove the misalignment. I would say that something is bent... either the shaft or strut. Youre correct- a worn out strut bushing would be easier to spin, not harder. It can be bent by a very small amount (thousandths of an inch) and affect your ability to spin it by hand. You cant tell if its straight or not by looking at it- it would require removal from the boat, a set of v-blocks and a dial indicator to tell if its slightly bent.

Cantrepeat, many of the boats I am most familiar with have 1.23 reduction transmissions. They spin just as easily as the 1:1 velvet drives.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisoswald View Post
i dont think i have enough room..those dripless units need i think a minimum of 7 inches and the space between my transmission and where the shaft leaves the boat is very short.
Our standard set up will fit.