Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-27-2012, 05:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 PS 190, 02 Wakesetter VLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
1 hour, 47 minutes until I do. My boat is parked outside the office.

I am jealous! High tomorrow here is 48 and rain. 60 on Sunday, but we have my daughters b-day party. It may be next weekend before I get to actually chase some bouys!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
It's a little windy here today. High of 87. So not ideal as the wind goes. Our lake isn't a private one per say, but it's as private as a public lake can be. Our club has exclusive skiing rights. So other than a couple of fishermen, we have it to ourselves. It's not a barbell shape either, so rollers can happen if the wind picks up. I just measured it on google maps and it looks like the area we use is right about 2,100'. So I stand by my make it longer comments. On this lake, I barely have enough time to fix my shorts and smile for the camera.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 04-27-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
It's a little windy here today. High of 87. So not ideal as the wind goes. Our lake isn't a private one per say, but it's as private as a public lake can be. Our club has exclusive skiing rights. So other than a couple of fishermen, we have it to ourselves. It's not a barbell shape either, so rollers can happen if the wind picks up. I just measured it on google maps and it looks like the area we use is right about 2,100'. So I stand by my make it longer. On this lake, I barely have enough time to fix my shorts and smile for the camera.
Our lake is just under 2,100 feet. Set up is quick, but managable. I sure wouldn't want any shorter. Maybe if it was an 8 ball course but still.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Our lake is just under 2,100 feet. Set up is quick, but managable. I sure wouldn't want any shorter. Maybe if it was an 8 ball course but still.
I have skied on a friends course that is on an approximately 1,600' lake. There is no room for a turn-around start at one end. So when you get up, you have to be pulling out immediately. It's a bit intense to say the least.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Wow, You guys didn't respond any where near as quickly when I asked a vinyl/carpet question

Thanks for all your advice, it is much appreciated. I can narrow a touch by the sounds of it, but I am worried if I make the lake longer (larger holding capacity) in dryer years with less or no runoff, I may not be able to get enough water in it to ski. It is a conundrum in that in a wet year I need to get rid of the water from my farming land and as far as efficiency of dam building goes a square or circle is far more efficient for earthworks. The longer and narrower I make it the more earth to shift for the same amount of storage.

The good news is that if I make it too short I can always extend, but I need to get the width spot on to start with. The gradient for bank info is excellent thankyou. I am a little worried I may not be able to achieve the 10:1 gradient as the bank will end up too wide at the base. I wonder whether those calculations may have been for a lake completely in the ground not with banks built up? I think we will peg out a longer length and see how we go shifting the clay. On my previous calculations it was going to need approx. 25-30cubic yards per yard of bank. This equates to 33000 cubic yards of soil after we get rid of the topsoil (scraper holds 15yards) This is also a compacted measure, so I have to be careful here. Ie. it holds 15yds of fluffed up soil not compacted in the bank. 1100yards bank * 30 = 33000 cubic yards or 2200 scraper loads.

So who is still with me??????

Last edited by petermegan; 04-27-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermegan View Post
Wow, You guys didn't respond any where near as quickly when I asked a vinyl/carpet question

Thanks for all your advice, it is much appreciated. I can narrow a touch by the sounds of it, but I am worried if I make the lake longer (larger holding capacity) in dryer years with less or no runoff, I may not be able to get enough water in it to ski. It is a conundrum in that in a wet year I need to get rid of the water from my farming land and as far as efficiency of dam building goes a square or circle is far more efficient for earthworks. The longer and narrower I make it the more earth to shift for the same amount of storage.

The good news is that if I make it too short I can always extend, but I need to get the width spot on to start with. The gradient for bank info is excellent thankyou. I am a little worried I may not be able to achieve the 10:1 gradient as the bank will end up too wide at the base. I wonder whether those calculations may have been for a lake completely in the ground not with banks built up? I think we will peg out a longer length and see how we go shifting the clay. On my previous calculations it was going to need approx. 25-30cubic yards per yard of bank. This equates to 33000 cubic yards of soil after we get rid of the topsoil (scraper holds 15yards) This is also a compacted measure, so I have to be careful here. Ie. it holds 15yds of fluffed up soil not compacted in the bank. 1100yards bank * 30 = 33000 cubic yards or 2200 scraper loads.

So who is still with me??????
I'd guess you will need closer to 2500 loads after compaction.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
I’m assuming that there’s going to be an “Open House” invite to all TT members when it’s completed?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Of course hudgins, of course. I will try and remember to give you a personal invite. If any TT members are looking for a ski in Southern Australia give me a call. Happy to give a tow at our local lake and a bit of a sightsee if you are touring from O/S.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

I gave a fair bit of thought to orientation and came up with (Southern Hemisphere don't forget) approx. a 10-15 degree rotation anticlockwise form North-South. ie.NNW to SSE if that makes sense. My prevailing winds come from either the West or South and that will avoid the sun in the eyes issue. I probably should point out that I am not a die hard slalom course addict and when I am fit can make it through a course just. My kids are 7 and 9 and if I was ever going to undertake something like this now was the time. Being well aware of the issue of going too wide for wind affect, I thought novices on the lake may want to wakeboard, kneeboard or even a tube on a short rope. We will also stock with fish, which I think helps in overall ecology and cleanliness of the lake. Keep the ideas coming, I am learning heaps.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 PM
MC Hero

If you can get them, grass carp will keep the lake free of vegetation. But if you don't need them, don't bother. The get absolutely huge. Remorseless eating machines they are.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club