Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-09-2015, 01:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Looking for opinions on smart phones

(Well past) ready to upgrade my iPhone and looking for recommendations- Want a better camera, but it's not the main issue. My old phone has problems holding calls, sometimes has no service in heavily populated areas and the processor seems to be hanging up. Faster data would be good, since I sometimes need to use it as my laptop's connection to the internet and the old one was pretty slow. More storage is a given and mine isn't able to handle the newest OS, which means a lot of my apps need to be updated, but it can't do that.

I have seen pro/con opinions for some of the Galaxy phones, but not as many for the LG. I have read that the iPhone 6 has a sapphire screen, for durability- any comments on that? I bought thin plastic screen protectors for the last phone and they worked great- If I need them again, I'll get some.

What say ye?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-5 Red/White
I have the LG G3.
I have had a great experience with it. Long battery life. Great picture and Camera. Lots of customization as far as the feel and transition of UI. Even with the larger screen I've never felt like it was unmanagable to put in the pocket even with the Otter Box Defender case on it. I also have the screen protector as well. As far as service is concerned I haven't noticed a large difference from my old Motorola RAZR.

Only Issue I have had that hasnt been addressed or I have just not found the fix. My phone tries to identify an AUX cable input as a headset and causes voice prompts to cause my music to stop that I am streaming. Not to big of an issue. But can get annoying if I have it hooked up in the boat/truck while trying to focus on people/other boats in water.

Only insight I have is on the G3. Maybe its some good info!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 prostar 205/1985 stars&stripes
I also am about to need a new phone. I have one of the old Casio G'zOne phones. It has been indestructible. Fell from 20+ feet multiple times out of my pocket. Been submerged under water several times, one time for 30 min.
I have heard the newer version is crap, so if I cant get another "tough" phone, I'm thinking of an iPhone 6. If i don't got his route I am curious of the other options.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: X10
After putting my IPhone 4s into the lake I upgraded to a Galaxy S5, due in large part to the IPhone 6s not being available yet and the S5's (still skeptical) water resistance. I've installed the google now launcher (I didn't like Touchwiz Launcher that it came loaded with)on the phone and so far I love it. I have not installed a micro SD card yet, but the ability to do so is really appealing as I went with the 16gb model. The camera is great, really crisp photos. The camera seems to launch a little slower than the 4s but not so much that I mind. So far its been a good transition from IOS but I never had issues with the Apple product, if the 6s were available when I needed a phone I likely would have went with that.

Initially I was a little worried about the size of the phone, it is considerably larger than the 4s was. The 5.1" screen fits me well and I can access pretty much all of it with one hand.

My only complaint with the S5 is the chrager, it is a bit awkward to plug in but nothing I can't deal with.

If you do switch from an Apple product make sure to disable your imessage or everyone with an IPhone will be unable to text you. I didn't realize this as my phone was dead, missed a lot of texts and had some explaining to do!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
Jim, your best carrier will have significant effect on dropped calls and quality. For my vicinity and much of the midwest, Verizon is tops. Right now you may be able to get $150 for coming over plus buyout of your old contract (at least that was the case before the holidays).

I have had an iphone supplied by my company for 2 years now. If it were my choice, I'd like an Android phone for their flexibility (iOS and Itunes have none), and I would get one of the new Motorolas. Motorola in the old days was a top brand for good reception and I hear they still are. They don't have the brand cachet that the kids and millenials want so prices are more reasonable.

The Galaxy 5S is a really nice phone , the fact that it is splashproof is a nice benefit. They are just commanding a pretty high price due to the cool factor.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Galaxy S5 here too. It's a really nice phone. I have no experience with Apple products, but I really like the more open environment of the Android system. If you're that sort of person, Android phones are much easier to unlock/jailbreak so you can install your own custom interfaces and operating systems and remove the factory bloatware. The Android stuff also works really well with the Google suite of apps. If you have a Google account, photos and other data can be stored for free on the Google servers.
As far as waterproofness, the S5 is IP67 certified- water resistant to 1m (3 ft) for 30 minutes.
The iPhone is available in 3 memory sizes, 16, 64 and 128 gb, but the S5 has a micro SD slot, and a 128 gb SD card will cost you much less than the premium to get the iPhone 6 128. Not to mention you can swap out the memory card in the S5, should the need or desire arise.
I can't speak for the iP 6, but if I turn it off at night, and with what I consider 'normal' use, the battery in my S5 easily lasts a day and a half to two days. I'm currently at 12%, and haven't charged it since Wednesday around 3pm.
The real negative I have about the S5 is that in terms of accessories, the market definitely favors Apple stuff. There are literally tens of thousands of accessories for Apple stuff, and while there are many, many accessories for the S5 as well, the Apple stuff seems to be more prevalent. I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker though.
G
Old 01-09-2015, 04:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
The S5 has been an amazing phone for me thus far, had it about 4 months. No hang ups with the phone at all.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
S5 Sport....supposedly dust proof, shock resistant and water resistant

I had the s4 mini which I really liked....better size than S5.

It didn't survive me overflowing my waders duck hunting

My phones typically have untimely drowning deaths

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 01-09-2015, 04:25 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I'm very phone delayed. IE the phone that I just switch from was an Android that ran on 2.2.3 OS and the only reason I was looking to change was the on/off button stop working so I would *** dial or text people at random.

To that affect, I had a friend that had an iPhone 4s with a broken screen. He gave me the phone and I bought a replacement screen for $40 bucks. iOS has taken some getting used to but I do kind of like it.

For your purpose Jim, I couldn't see where OS should be your limiting factor, if it is. I think the only issue would be if you had a lot of iOS purchased apps that would not transfer to your new phone.

For me, I would consider an iPhone 5 if you didn't want to pony up for a 6. I have no issues with the 4s even as old as it is. Its a 16gig and I've got about 5000 songs on it just for giggles.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:32 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
HTC M8 or M9 if you can wait.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.