Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Pro Star 190
New Wakeboard - What Are You Guys Using?

New to the wakeboard scene, this will actually be my first summer on a board I bought to fit my height/weight. I've got up on other guys boards before, most of the time much smaller guys than myself so I'm eager to get on the water this summer.

I did quite a bit of research on a versatile board that would be something I could use from my 1st deep water start, to tricks. Wanted a board that would be a great board as my skill level advances.

I ended up going with the Ronix Vault 2012 (144) with the District Bindings, I'm 6', 215lbs on a good day so I wanted to make sure the board was designed for a bigger rider.

Board Picture w/Bindings

Just curious what you guys are using, what seems to be the better board manufactures, etc.?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
2011 Hyperlite Marek Bio w/ 2011 Team Binding - and a 2010 Motive with 2008 Murray Bindings
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
2011 Parks Ronix Ibex w/ Ronix Kai bindings

Love it after one day of riding!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Family Boat '08 X-Star
I ride a hyperlite Marek 145 with system mounts and marek boots. This is by far the most bada$$ setup I've ever had! Super stoked with this new board. I've been riding for two months and my rididng is already leaps and bounds ahead of where it's been any other year. Going to the gym in the off season helps!!!

There's not one board company that's any better than the others, its just a matter of preference. Initially it's the graphics you like and the setup you think will be comfortable for you. In regards to progression, when you're beginning, center fins or deeper outer fins help shorten the learning curve of edge control. The big this is to really focus on the basics (heelside and toeside edge control, riding switch as well as regular). Always try to have fun, and never be afraid to try new things! Best of luck with the new setup. Get to rippin!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X-15...gone, 2014 X-46 Gen2+ ...incoming
Location: middle of Germany, center of Europe (the old world)
I'm in the same situation as you are, rode monoskis over ten years back or so, but I'm completly new to wakeboards.

After extensive tryons (4h for the bindings to be sure), i bought the Watson classic (non-grind, so no obstacles) and the O-Brien Nomad Bindings

Last edited by Stefan; 04-27-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
^ how do you like those bindings

I ride a 10' watson classic with transit bindings
Old 06-01-2012, 12:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I have been a Ronix binding fan since day one of the company. They just fit voodoo good for me with narrow foot. I really like the latest Mana but picked up a Slingshot Hooke. Man the new Slingshot board is awesome.

Their original flex boards the reflex response and recoil didn't do it for me at all being behind a boat 100% of the time. The just lacked the snap n consistency. However I loved the landings. Their new Ballistic line of more boat oriented boards give you those softer longings and the stiffer snap. I am sold . Their channel binding mount really gives you ultimate customization. Just wish the grid/ ruler to give you an idea on space was etched in board so I didn't need tape measure.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by DankOfAmerica View Post
New to the wakeboard scene, this will actually be my first summer on a board I bought to fit my height/weight. I've got up on other guys boards before, most of the time much smaller guys than myself so I'm eager to get on the water this summer.

I did quite a bit of research on a versatile board that would be something I could use from my 1st deep water start, to tricks. Wanted a board that would be a great board as my skill level advances.

I ended up going with the Ronix Vault 2012 (144) with the District Bindings, I'm 6', 215lbs on a good day so I wanted to make sure the board was designed for a bigger rider.
Hey man, I just started wakeboarding over the last month. I picked up the 2011 Ronix Vault and have had a great experience so far with it. Everyone told me that the large center fins will hinder my improvement and it would take longer to learn to really edge properly and recommended i just straight remove them. I did not want to go quite that far so what i ended up doing is replacing the like 1.8" Fin that came on the board, with a 1" ramp fin. That way i still have some fin there but im not relying completely on them. Now that i am getting more comfortable and my toe side has really improved I am thinking about taking them off all together soon. So just something to think about. The fins only run like 10 bucks so not bad either to replace.

I went high end on the bindings figuring I would keep bindings longer than a board possibly and got the 2011 Ronix one boots. Love them so far. The fit is dead on, especially for me with a big foot that runs between a 12 and a 13 usually.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I'm on a Hyperlite Premier right now, but it's an older model. I just picked up the Ronix Reliks last season so I'm good on bindings right now. I'm looking for a board that will help me progress to the next level. Any suggestions for my particular situation?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
Currently: 2009 Ronix One 146 w/ 2010 Ronix One bindings

Formerly: 2008 Ronix Ibex w/ Ronix Cells
Hyperlite Parks board
Hyperlite Premier board
Liquid Force Trip

can't remember all the bindings but Ronix are BY FAR the most comfortable and supportive i've found... bad ankles and ::knock on wood:: only a couple of minor tweaks since i switched... which is a great improvement over a couple of bad rolls/sprains per yr before that

after riding the agressive 3 stage boards (Parks and Ibex) it has made a world of difference in the control and comfort hitting the wake and control of my edge after going back to more of a continuous board... now i just need to get back on the water after not riding hardly for the last couple of years... its all up to the rider tho

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by wakeX2wake; 06-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Tags
ronix, wakeboard